17

"You would become king soon and a bride is essential for you. In three months time, you shall be meeting your bride to be. She is the head priestess of the land of snow, Lady Shion and would make an absolutely wonderful bride for you."

Neji felt dizzy and nauseous which wasn't caused by illness. His fists gripped the material of his clothes till his knuckles became white. "If I may speak, your Majesty, allow your subject to say what is on his mind." He pleaded.

"You may speak." Hiashi permitted.

"I refuse the hand of lady Shion, oujime-sama." Neji's lavender eyes squinted shut as he prayed that Hiashi would hear him out but it seemed like his luck had run out. Up till now he had weaseled his way out of arranged marriages.

"Nonsense! The land of snow make good alliance partners. Marrying their head priestess would only strengthen the alliance between our lands. Lady Shion is a fine partner and your offspring would have good genes." Neji resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "The elders of the land has agreed to this and so you shall marry lady Shion. I believe I have made myself clear." Hiashi said with a tone of finality and Neji had to succumb.

He was dismissed and he left with a bow. When the servants opened the door for him and he saw Tenten bowing along with the other maids that served the king, his heart shattered into a million fragments. Tenten. How would he relay this information to Tenten? She would be sad and heartbroken, something he did not want at all.

"What did his majesty say?" Tenten asked when they reached Neji's compound of the palace. The prince didn't answer but made his way to his quarters instead which made Tenten worried. Neji, however silent he may be towards others, was rather chatty with her and to see him otherwise meant something ill.

Tenten opened the paper door to Neji's quarters and allowed her Prince in. Neji sat on the futon and she stepped out for a moment to make some tea. She came back after a few minutes with a tray containing a steaming teapot, ceramic cup, tea leaves and a brewer. Tenten knelt beside Neji on the other side of the small table and placed the tealeaves inside the brewer. The sound of water pouring into a cup was heard as Tenten poured steaming water over the tea leaves and let it soak a little to absorb more flavor.

All the while, Neji watched entranced as the woman did her work. Only Tenten made a mundane act such as pouring tea into a cup look sophisticated and graceful. "Tenten." Neji called out tentatively.

"Hai?" Tenten looked up and Neji resisted flinching. Her brown orbs stared deeply into his lavender ones with child-like adorableness, Neji was almost tempted to lie. The Prince decided to get on with it before he could chicken out.

"His majesty and the elders of the land has chosen for me a bride from the land of snow." Neji broke it down softly yet bluntly. He watched with his heart clenching as Tenten's grip on the teacup falter. The woman dropped the cup and folded her hands upon her knees, looking down at them, and fumbling with her thumbs.

Tenten was beyond sad. She knew that this would happen one day but she did not want it to happen. She wished that she was different... No, there is nothing wrong with me... She wished that the royal system was different. Tenten was not aware that she was crying until she felt Neji's warm fingers press against her wet cheek. It was then that she released her waterworks to full blown sobs.

"Shh." Neji shushed softly, pressing a big finger to her parted lips, and looked at her sternly. "I am not ready to give you up. I hate to remind myself of this but I shall die soon. When I die, I want it in your arms and not in the arms of a strange woman." Neji's eyes softened but his words only increased Tenten's wails.