RAIDO - ᚱ

This was my first time riding again

It felt good to be on horseback, feeling the familiar rhythm of the animal's steps under my body. The horse I was riding was named Félagi. He was old and slow, but he was one of the sturdiest ones that were available for the servants to use. In this environment that was of utmost importance. I patted his back as a silent encouragement for him to keep going, and it felt like he knew what I meant by it. The howling wind found its way through the fabrics of my clothes and made my neck painful and stiff. The winter had set in a few weeks ago; the ground was covered in a layer of snow that grew higher every day. I had never seen anything like it before, but my initial amazement had quickly faded and changed into a slight despair once I realised that the snow would be here for a long time. 

I was on my way to a town in the vicinity of Kattegat, named Skivika. Usually I would take this trail on foot, but once the snow got as high as my knees the stablemaster had said that I could use a horse. I was on my own. They weren't afraid that I would try to run. Fleeing would mean a death sentence in this type of weather. I didn't think it would be possible to survive, alone, in this cold environment. At least not for someone like me who wasn't accustomed to the ice and snow. The idea of freezing to death kept me on the path on Skivika knowing that I had a decently warm stable to sleep in, back in Kattegat. I loosened the reins, letting my companion find the safest path through the thick snow.

Skivika wasn't as big as Kattegat but it was of decent size. It was situated in a small valley with a river running throughout the center of town, providing clean water to the inhabitants. On the outskirts were a few huts for those who wished to live a solitary lifestyle. In the town centre were some bigger buildings; even a few stone ones. I was headed to one of the huts, nestled in between two rock formations, giving it some shelter from the wind. In the wooden cabin lived an older woman, who was skilled at making things to better the health, for humans and animals. Ivar's horse had fallen ill, so I was on my way to get some medicine. Normally it wouldn't be such an issue, however this horse had been trained to his needs and wouldn't be easily replaced. My mind wandered back to Ivar and the way he looked at me with his penetrating eyes. I involuntarily shuddered.

The journey didn't take as long as I had anticipated, but I was still thankful that I finally reached Edda's homestead. I got off the horse and immediately sunk up to my knees in the snow. I led Félagi to the small stable, situated right next to the house and opened the barn door. In it stood a small donkey, and he raised his head at the sudden gust of cold wind that woke him from his slumber. I murmured a few apologetic words and led Félagi into the small space. I took his saddle and bridle off and he made a thankful noise. I grabbed some  straw from the ground and tried my best to rub the snow off him as well as I could. 

Afterwards I made my way through the thick snow and knocked on Edda's door. A few moments later the door opened and  she quickly invited me in once she recognised me. Without saying anything she walked over to the fire where she shuffled around. A while later she handed me a wooden bowl with a delicious smelling stew. I thanked her. She was one of the few people who didn't treat me like a slave and I always liked visiting her.