Chapter 24

She had been expecting more shouting, if she was being completely honest with herself. More boisterous laughter, more leering, and more fighting, too. She'd also expected it to be dirty, for whatever reason. Clothes and swords strewn about as a bunch of one eyed men with bellies the size of melons had a little rough and tumble beside a hissing fire. She supposed part of her had hoped the camp would be that way, so clearly vile and detestable, but it wasn't.

Instead, boys and girls of all ages flitted about from tent to tent, kicking after and chasing a ball. More still were stuck inside, either taking baths out of small basins or slipping their tunics on to go out and face the day. Women strolled about, yelling after their kids and tending to their areas, making sure everything was in order and both food and drink were brought in. Some were even on patrol, sword hilts gleaming at their hips. The men, for whatever reason, were not close by, only a few helping keep patrol with the women. That meant the others were somewhere else. Doing something.

Flashes of the attacks, kidnappings, and messages on the walls shot through her mind. The men could be out hurting people, attacking them, painting the walls of Aktanta with blood and propaganda alike. They could attack the Institute, too. Nya and Rai could be in danger, not to mention everybody else.

Dakota's eyes flickered back and forth, trying to find answers. The only thing she saw was sheer, unadulterated joy, oozing out of every pore. The people here were genuinely happy. They liked being here. Why?

Turning to the swordswoman next to her, she figured she should start digging.

"Hey," she started. "We never got to introduce ourselves earlier. I'm Ana."

"Well met," the swordswoman muttered. "You may call me Liora."

"Liora," Dakota repeated, testing the name out on her lips. "Did you have to talk to the general when you joined?"

"I did not, no," she said. "Though I also didn't run down from the Institute."

"Was it that obvious?"

Liora shot her a look. "Yes."

She didn't know how to respond to that. That didn't stop her from trying though.

"I--have you ever talked to the general? The way he speaks is..."

"Intimidating? Inspiring? Like he's a hero and we merely stand at his side?"

"Similar," Dakota admitted. "It was...I can't fathom it, really."

"He has that effect on people."

"Oh good," she muttered. "I'm glad it's not just me."

Liora smirked. "It's not, don't worry. Just make sure to do as you're told."

"Of course."

The other woman nodded at her and stood, walking off into the middle of the pathway, seemingly checking something. Dakota stared at her, observing her movements as she had nothing else to do. There was a certain confidence about Liora, a certain energy to her strides. Her head was always held high and her shoulders were relaxed, drawn back. The woman always had incredible posture--it boggled her mind. That, and her arms always seemed to be folded across her chest, an extra layer of defense on an impenetrable fortress.

Dakota stood up, keeping her satchel firmly by her side as she walked out to the pathways. A pair of children bumped past her, giggling as they ran out towards her left, where there were shouts and hugs and general merriment. Looking up, she saw a battalion of men returning back, mingling with the crowd and hoisting a few brown haired children up on their shoulders, spinning around and twirling them. It was...nice. Wholesome, even. A small smile crossed her face as her heart hesitated. She couldn't put the two images together.