Chapter 13

Kurt rushed through the doors of the hospital and saw his dad and Karofsky's father, Jerry Karofsky. "Dad! Mr. Jerry!"

"Where's Colin and Étoile?" Burt jumped up.

"The girls have them! What's going on?! There was an accident on the site?!"

Jerry couldn't look at his son's boyfriend without wanting to cry. He looked down and buried his face in his hands.

"No!" Kurt backed away.

Burt brought him close and forced a hug on him. "Kurt..."

Kurt began screaming and crying.

Finn walked in with Carole and Azimio, both of whom he'd found coming back with coffee. The tall drummer felt so bad for his brother.

W

Kurt walked into the room and tried to be brave. He was reminded of his mother all over again. Why was this happening to him? To Dave?

Monitors beeped, keeping the broken young man alive but barely.

Kurt went to the chair by the bedside. He took Karofsky's hand and began singing his favorite Beetles' song as a ballad. Tears raced down his face as he got choked up.

When the short song ended, he felt a tightening around his fingers and looked up, sure they were all wrong and Karofsky wasn't brain-dead.

But the monitors began going off and nurses spilled in. A young woman helped Kurt out then shut the door.

Kurt felt his heart break as he realized he'd just sung his love to death.

W

Mercedes held Kurt as he looked over his choices for Karofsky's funeral. "That'll make your eyes pop, boo."

"Thank you." His voice was worn from not crying when his body ached to.

"Do you want to borrow one of my hats?"

"Sure."

"Okay. We'll pick one with lots and lots of flowers."

"Thank you."

W

The boys stayed around Azimio to keep him from spiraling while the girls were always in Kurt's face.

But the kids had questions. Especially almost four year old Colin. "Where's Daddy?"

The girls gasped as Kurt bowed his head, not knowing what to tell his son.

Marcy patted his back before sinking to her knees in front of the three year old. "You know how you go to sleep at night?"

Colin nodded.

"Your daddy went to sleep."

"When is he waking up?"

"He won't be for a long time."

"Why?"

"It's called "forever sleep". That's what happens when someone or something dies."

"Dies?" He looked up at her with confusion in his blue eyes.

"Yes. Dies, die, died, death, dying and dead. They're the same word said different ways to mean forever sleep."

Colin pouted. "I want Daddy to wake up!"

"I know, sweetheart but we don't know when that will be. But I'm nearly 100% positive that he will."

Colin thought about it. "Will I go to forever sleep?"