Chapter 6. Bittersweet sugar.

Vincent usually loved mornings. Well, that depends on how much sleep he got last night, but usually he's okay with them. But today. Today he was woken up by screaming.

Clay's voice screaming threats and a very familiar voice, which did not register for sleepy Vincent yet, pleading for mercy.

Vincent rushed downstairs into the kitchen and froze. Darryl was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee, his hair was a mess, and he didn't have his glasses on, but he looked so much better than before.

"Dar? What's going on?" His heart literally stopped because he saw the corners of Darryl's mouth move into a small smile, although he hid it in his coffee a second later.

"Clay walked in on me and Zak asleep. Now, he has chased Zak onto a tree and is trying to get him down and break his legs."

"Zak is here?"

"Yeah, he arrived last night."

"Oh... did you forgive him?"

Darryl sat his cup down and nodded. "Yeah... yeah I did. Obviously, it's not going to be okay just because I did. But we're working on that."

Right at that moment Zak zoomed through the door and slammed it shut, leaning against it. A body slammed against on the other side.

"Open this door, Zakary! We are not done here!" Clay genuinely sounded terrifying and Zak looked scared until he saw Darryl. Then the fear on his face was washed away and replaced by affection.

"Hi."

Darryl chuckled quietly, making Vincent freeze up again. He was genuinely smiling. That did not happen in a while. Seems like he was right. Zak was able to make Darryl truly happy.

"Hi... you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine... Hi Vinny! How are you doing? Can we please lock this door?" Vincent started laughing at the utter panic in Zak's voice, and shook his head.

"Suffer, Zak."

"I can hear you, you know! You are making it worse! I will shave your eyebrows off, Zakary!" Clay banged on the door some more. He knew it was wrong to scare Zak like that, but he felt like he deserved it for everything that he put Darryl through.

"Yeah, I am so tweeting about this." Vincent pulled out his phone typing out the tweet.

"You are a traitor, Vin! Okay, I'm not fine. Dar... please save me."

Darryl smiled again and opened his arms for Zak mumbling: "Come here."

Zak literally bolted and hid in Darryl's arms. "...thanks." They both relaxed, feeling the already familiar warm wave hit them. Soulmate contact was really a magic thing.

And then Dream slammed the door open:

"Where the hell is he?!" then his eyes landed on Darryl, who raised his eyebrows coldly and pressed Zak closer protectively. Dream stepped down. "Oh. Oh... okay. But we are not done here."

"I think you are." Darryl finally spoke up, sounding calm but his voice was laced with dangerous undertones. Zak didn't even know his sweet pure Bad could sound like that.

"What? But-"

"Enough is enough, Clay." Darryl's time somehow darkened even more. "Zak and I talked, I forgave him. We will figure out the rest by ourselves.... if I were you, I would be scared of what Vincent is tweeting right now instead."

"...Sorry, Zak. Sorry, Darryl." Clay mumbled and grabbed his phone, opening Twitter and paling rapidly. "I forget how scary you were in high school sometimes.... Vincent, what the hell?!"