CHAPTER 2: EAGLE EYE

Tag stared at Tamira's racer logo on the door of her private room in the Ark, with many thoughts rushing rapidly in his head. He had been standing there for three whole minutes, trying to come up with what he wanted to 'present' to Tamira. Why he even feel the need to do a presentation just to ask one question, he didn't know, but that's the feeling that she gave him most of the time when they talk. He let out a sigh, preparing to knock on the door.

Just as his fist nearly made contact with the surface, the door suddenly opened and Tamira stood where Tag almost accidentally hit her face. Thankfully, his instinct was fast enough to stop and he jumped back in fear of being scolded by her. He braced himself, shielding his face with his arms. However, a few seconds later, Tag opened his eyes and took a good look at Tamira, who had on an unimpressed, bored face.

"Yes, Tag?" Tamira asked. There was a hint of irritation in her voice, but it was nothing new from her.

"Oh, uh, hi, Tamira. I was just... you know, wondering how you're doing, since returning and all," Tag stuttered, grinning sheepishly as he felt a sweat trickling down his forehead out of uneasiness.

"I'm fine. I hope you've been doing well," Tamira replied with a friendlier tone as she leaned back, crossing her arms. Still, her facial expression didn't change.

"Just peachy. Thanks," Tag's voice was shaking.

Another few seconds passed, as Tamira seemingly waited for Tag to proceed with whatever else he wanted to say, but he was frozen in both mind and body. She rolled her eyes, lowering her arm and started to walk away, the door closing behind her. Tag finally snapped out of it and held out his hand to stop her from leaving.

"Wait, I wanted to ask you something!" Tag called out. Tamira turned around reluctantly, with a frown on her face. She wasn't really in the mood for small talk. Tag mustered up the courage to spill it out.

"I saw you with Axle at the press conference," Tag told her, and waited for a reaction from Tamira or at least some sort of explanation. But she didn't flinch or react in any way.

"And?" Tamira asked with a nonchalant attitude and even started to sound impatient.

"What were you guys talking about?" Tag continued, feeling suspicious as he narrowed his eyes at her. Tamira rolled her eyes, scoffing and sighing at the same time.

"None of your business. If you'll excuse me," she replied hastily as she turned and walked away.

Tag obviously didn't want the conversation to end just like that, but it was apparent that Tamira didn't want to be disturbed any longer, and he was also still intimidated by her, especially in a circumstance where he might unintentionally offend her. He knew that if she was planning anything in their fight against the Ringmasters, she probably wouldn't leave him out of the loop. In the end, he deduced that it might have just been nothing. He was still sort of bothered by it, but there wasn't much he could do about it. Nor SHOULD he do anything about it. He might as well just head on over to the lounge.

__________

It was still early during the networking party, with only minimal crowd hanging around the place. Tag was sitting at the bar area in the middle of the lounge, waiting for the others to show up. He looked down at his drink, a simple cocktail drink with some fries at the side. He wasn't having much appetite that day after what he witnessed earlier.