CHAPTER 3: A CHANCE MEETING

Two weeks ago...

A dinner party at a grand ballroom in a corporate building was happening. The night was still early, as the sun had just set in the horizon. The guests were mostly members of the high society and elites, wearing their expensive suits and lavish dresses. They came in many shapes and sizes of course, but all of them most certainly looked polished and pristine. Some were hanging around the bar, some were taking samples of the food provided and most were just chatting amongst each other.

One of these many guests was a majestic eagle, a distinguished older gentleman who went by Fawkes, or Mr. Fawkes as many would call him. He had on a pair of glasses, his feather around his neck ruffled in an elegant manner and he was wearing a fitted dark blue suit. He was talking to his peers, letting out a deep laugh as they converse while next to him was his son that accompanied, trying to fight off boredom as he sighed and yawned. It was a familiar face. It was Axle.

Throughout the time they were at the party, Axle had nothing much to say. He knew no one. Most of these were friends of his father or just acquaintances that he knew through mutual contacts. It was unfortunate that he was still on a break before he would join the RGP in another few weeks or so. Until then, he had to be stuck living with his family and abide by his father's wishes.

"So, Axle. Are you still competing in that car racing championship thing?" Axle heard one of the guests asked him which snapped him out of his blank state of mind.

"Yes," he briefly answered. A usual type of answer coming from him, which didn't surprise his father as he side-eyed him.

"Haha, I suppose after winning it several times, it still wouldn't satisfy you, wouldn't it? Like father, like son," the guest remarked lightly and laughed, to which Axle didn't respond to. Mr. Fawkes managed to plaster on a fake smile, to lighten the mood, but inside, there was nothing but contempt for the situation.

__________

Another hour or so had passed and finally, the light of the end of tunnel was seen. His father was ready to leave and said his goodbyes to his friends. Axle was already waiting outside the building, leaning against the wall and checking his phone. A moment later, his father had stepped outside the entrance and glanced at him. He narrowed his eyes at him, and Axle returned the look. He sighed, nudging his head towards the limo waiting for them.

In the car, Fawkes and Axle sat side by side, looking outside the windows at the opposite ends. Axle kept his sight on the view outside, staring at the night life in the city they were residing for the weekend, Silver City. After five minutes of silence in the car, Mr Fawkes couldn't handle the tension rising and let out a heavy sigh.

"How long are you going to be racing?" Mr. Fawkes asked, but he didn't take his eyes away from the view outside the window. Axle glanced at his father, but didn't turn his head.

"As long as I want to," Axle responded, in his usual cold manner.

"You've got your trophies, your time in the spotlight, your fortune... I thought that would be enough to satisfy your ego. Now you're entering for the sixth time?" Fawkes complained, raising his voice a little more. Axle frowned, feeling a little irritated that his father had to say it in a demeaning way. But he kept his eyes on the outside of the window.