The Hogwarts Express

Chapter 2.

Hermione’s POV

September 1st came much faster than I had hoped. I walked through the barrier at King’s Cross, and thought about who I will spend my time with. Nobody, I guess. This is going to be a long year.  I walked onto the train, and thought about the memories here. Neville, who kept losing his toad, the dementors’ attack, meeting Remus, and the thing I would never forget: meeting my two best friends. Of course, I didn’t like them much at first, but once you’ve met those two clumsy, annoying, hilarious boys, there was no way you couldn’t get attached to them. Even little Won Won. I laughed at the thought, and tried to find an empty compartment.

I found one and sat down with a hollow feeling inside of me. I hoped I could sit alone today, and think about all the happy memories. I knew that was what would keep me going this year.

I heard light footsteps padding down the hall. Probably looking for friends, I thought, sadly reminded of the fact that I’ll be alone this year. To my surprise, the person walked into my compartment. I looked at him - the pale skin, the loose blond hair, the shockingly gray eyes, and tall figure.  It took me one second to figure out who it was.  Draco Malfoy.

“Get out.” I said.

He looked at me in shock; he probably thought this compartment was empty.

“Get out!” I hissed, louder that time.

He looked over at me, and smirked. I hated that smirk so much.

“Nice to see you too, Granger.”

He sat opposite of me, for my annoyance or his pleasure I had no idea.

“Why are you sitting with me?” I asked, dreading the answer.

“Because I want to” he replied.

“When have you ever liked me?” I laughed. “The truth, please.”

“Well,” he mumbled, “there were no more empty compartments, and no one else will let me stay with them. No one really... likes me.”

“And what makes you think that I like you?” I snorted.

“Please?” he asked quietly, with his head hanging down. Wow! What happened to him over the summer!? I had never seen Draco Malfoy that vulnerable. I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

“You really have no friends?” I asked quietly.

“No. Crabbe... died, and Goyle got sent to Azkaban.” I shuddered.

Eager to change the subject, he asked me a few questions.

“Speaking of friends, where are Potter and Weasel?”

I looked at him in annoyance. “It’s Weasley. And they aren’t here. They got jobs.” I said sadly.

“And Longbottom, Loony, and Weaslette?” he asked, knowing it would annoy me.

“Ugh!” I cried out in frustration.

“You are an annoying git! Their names are Neville, Luna, and Ginny! Why can’t you be nice for once? And- they aren’t here either.” I added hesitantly.

I slouched against the window, staring outside for a few minutes. Then I asked him a question that had been on my mind for a while.

“Do you ever feel like everyone tries to act as though the war never happened?”

“Yeah.” he said, surprised. “All the time.”

Those few words released the tension between us, at least for the moment. We spent the rest of the time talking and joking around.

‘Wow, Malfoy has really changed,’ I thought. ‘But in a good way.’ I smiled to myself, and got ready to be back at Hogwarts.

End of Chapter 2