Beginning

(Author's note: Hi! This is my first time to write a story and to publish it. I am practicing my English grammar that's why I will say sorry first if there will be a mistakes that you can find. I hope that you can support me and help me also. Sorry for the cover photo I'm not good at editing but I simply love anime that's why that's my cover photo. Peace😁 and thanks for reading. Sorry for the tags.Hope you wouldn't mind. I really don't know people that I can tag.)

The world blurred around me, a kaleidoscope of unfamiliar faces and sounds.  I was Xien Lei, a doctor and an assassin in my previous life, but now I was a ghost, trapped in a body that wasn't mine.  A body that had been poisoned, a body that had suffered a lifetime of neglect.

The memories flooded back, a torrent of pain and rage. My family, murdered, their faces etched in my mind. My best friend, gone, her laughter forever silenced.  The organization, their cruelty echoing in my veins, a thirst for vengeance that had consumed me.  But I was dead, my soul adrift in time, a cruel twist of fate.

I woke up in this new body, a girl named Xien Lei, a name that felt both familiar and foreign.  Her memories were mine now, a tapestry of sorrow and despair.  Her family, cold and calculating, had treated her like a burden, a mere vessel for their greed.  They had poisoned her, slowly, deliberately, their desire for her inheritance driving them to such depravity.  And her mother, a woman of kindness and generosity, had been poisoned as well, leaving this girl alone and vulnerable.

The only solace I found was in Rei-Rei, a girl who resembled my best friend in appearance and spirit. She was my servant, my sole companion, a beacon of loyalty in this dark world.  I clung to her, seeking comfort in her presence, a reminder of the love and friendship I had lost.

But I was trapped, a prisoner of my own grief.  Years passed, and I remained withdrawn, unable to face the world outside my small hut.  The pain was too raw, the memories too vivid.  I was a living corpse, a shadow of my former self.

One morning, Rei-Rei woke me with a gentle smile. "Young lady, wake up. The sun was up."

I opened my eyes, her face a welcome sight.  "Young lady, get up now, it's time for your breakfast," she said.

I nodded, my throat tight with emotion.  As we ate, Rei-Rei spoke of our dwindling supplies. "Young lady, we do not have enough food to eat. I will go to the city to get some. You better stay here."

"Thank you," I said, my voice raspy from disuse.

"You don't need to thank me, young lady. It is my duty to serve you," she replied, her smile unwavering.

A flicker of hope ignited within me.  "Can I roam around in here? There's a village at the foot of this mountain, am I right?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly.

Rei-Rei's eyes widened in surprise.  "Are you alright now, young lady? I am so happy that you want to roam around. You never wanted to go out on these days ever since you were poisoned. I am so happy," she exclaimed.

"I just realize that I can't be like this forever, so I decided to take a stroll around," I explained.

"Yes, sure, young lady. You can roam around at the village. So that everyone can see how beautiful my young lady is," she said with a proud smile.

"Silly girl," I chuckled softly.

"Young lady, I'm not joking. You are really beautiful. No one has ever seen your face. Ever since we are here, you didn't even dare to go out. Eight years have passed, and finally, you decided. Your family will be surprised if they will see you and can't even recognize you unless you will show them your badge," she said.

"Let's just eat," I said, my voice laced with a hint of melancholy.

After breakfast, we descended the mountain.  Rei-Rei, ever vigilant, cautioned me. "Young lady, just roam around in this village, but if you are tired, just go home. You look still pale, you know. You have to rest more in order to regain your strength."