THE PALACE DINNER

Rei-rei POV

Upon arriving at the city, we walked past the bustling market, a cacophony of sounds and smells.  A wave of exhaustion washed over me, but I knew we couldn't linger.  The Empress's command echoed in my mind, urging us to return to the Xien residence.  Yet, as we passed by a crowded stall, a scene unfolded before us that stopped us in our tracks.

An old man, his face etched with lines of hardship, knelt before a figure clad in fine silk and embroidered armor.  He was begging, his voice hoarse and desperate.  "Please, General, pay it," he pleaded, his voice choked with despair.  "My daughter is sick, and we need the money to buy medicine for her.  Please, General, pay for the bag of meat."  He knelt before the imposing figure, tears streaming down his face.

"I am a general!" General Gao roared, his voice booming through the marketplace.  "I risk my life for this country's peace! How dare you demand payment from me!"

"General, I beg you!" the vendor cried, his voice cracking with desperation.  "My daughter is dying!  Please, General, please pay!"

Young Lady Xien, who had been observing the scene with a growing sense of unease, turned to me.  "Rei-rei, who is he?" she asked, her voice low and dangerous.

"One of the army generals, General Gao," I replied, my heart sinking.  "Rumors say he's heartless and refuses to pay for anything he takes."

"YOU ARE ANNOYING!" General Gao bellowed, his face contorted with rage.  He turned to leave, the stolen bag of meat clutched in his hand, but the vendor, driven by desperation, grabbed his leg.

"You cannot leave!  You pay first!" the vendor shouted, his voice hoarse with anger.

"YOU OLD MAN!  OUT OF MY WAY!" General Gao roared, his voice laced with menace.  He kicked the vendor with brutal force, sending the man sprawling to the ground, spitting blood.

"THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR RUINING MY DAY!" he screamed, his eyes blazing with fury.

"Young Lady!" I cried out, my voice filled with alarm.  She was walking towards the General, her hood falling back to reveal her face.  My heart pounded in my chest.  I knew this was a dangerous path she was choosing, but there was nothing I could do to stop her.  She had a fierce sense of justice, and she wouldn't stand by and watch this man get away with his cruelty.

M

y heart hammered in my chest as Young Lady Xien faced the General.  All eyes were on her, drawn to her beauty and the fierce aura that surrounded her.  The sunlight glinted off her dark hair, framing a face that was both beautiful and fierce.  Her gaze,  was sharp as a blade, piercing through the General's bravado.

"What a beautiful lady!" the General said, a smirk twisting his lips.  He was a tall man, broad-shouldered and imposing, his uniform adorned with intricate embroidery and gleaming medals.  But even his arrogance couldn't hide the flicker of fear that crossed his eyes as he met Young Lady's  gaze.

"Pay for that bag of meat," she demanded, her voice sharp and clear.  "Pay the old man, General."  Her voice, usually soft and melodic, now held a steely edge, a command that brooked no argument.

The General laughed, a cruel, mocking sound.  "A General like me, risking my life to protect this country, shouldn't have to pay for what I want.  Besides, your safety is payment enough."  He leaned closer, his breath hot on her face, his eyes gleaming with a mixture of lust and arrogance.How dare he get close to my lady!