Chapter 8

THEODORE

I leaned patiently against the doorframe of the female restroom. She had insisted I waited outside for her.

One minute....

Two minutes...

Three minutes... Passed and there was no trace of her. I waited a few more minutes but she didn't come out.

I had this feeling in my gut that things were not right and I started feeling lightheaded. Slowly, I turned the knob to the door and walked into the restroom.

Everything seemed to be in it's place but there was no trace of her. I walked to the mirror and watched my reflection forgetting the reason I was in the female restroom in the first place. Messy curls, tired eyes with large eye bags and several lines of worry on my forehead.

I was exhausted, been through a lot in the past few weeks and that made me look like a walking dead.

A shallow thud eroded me from my train of thoughts. I opened every stall in search of the uncomfortable sound and I stopped at the very last one as the door was locked.

My breath hitched as I ran over the possible things that might have happened. Without thinking twice, I grabbed a pin from one of the sinks and bugled open the door to the locked stall.

The sight before me made me freeze. Goosebumps crept up my skin and my hands shaking on their own accord.
She was laying on the floor in a pool of her own blood with a slit wrist.

I rushed to her and made several attempts to wake her up but she lay lifeless and I did what I should have done long ago. Call for help.

Watching the paramedics rush her into the ambulance with a stretcher, I winced my eyes closed trying to snap myself out of the dream but it was like my surreality suddenly became my reality.

Even while on the way to the hospital in the ambulance, my gaze lingered on the lifeless body before me. My insides were burning, in my head I was screaming but in reality, I sat very quiet as though nothing happened.

The whole situation was playing with my sanity. The ride to the hospital was a quiet one and as soon as she was rushed in, I took a seat on one of the bleachers not moving an inch till the doctor came out.

I shut everything else out as the words left the doctor's lips "We lost her."

I woke up and I kept hearing the doctor's voice from a distance. I got up and rushed to my adjoined bathroom and washed my face before proceeding back to my room.

I looked over at my wall clock to see that it was just some minutes after four in the morning. I decided not to sleep anymore and went over to my reading table to study.

My efforts to concentrate on the textbook I was reading seemed futile and I took a walk to the terrace that was connected to my room and sat on a bench there staring at the dark sky.

Little stars were twinkling and the cold breeze greeted my skin harshly. I sat there for along time basking myself in the ethereal feeling of joy. Something I'd never feel.

                                •••••

Two knocks on the door to his office and his voice came out saying "Come in." I had decided to pay Kazeem a visit as I wasn't sure of my sanity anymore. I stepped into his office and found him reading a magazine.

His gaze lifted and met mine. "Ah, Theodore. You're here." He said dropping the magazine he held in his hands on his table. "What brings you here kiddo? I mean, your parents didn't book an appointment."