A Pledge (With Fine Print)

Kakashi's shock to have walked into a trap lasted exactly three seconds. Then, annoyance took over. At himself for being too stupid these last few days - or had it been months? And at his life that had, the realization stung considerably, rushed towards this confrontation without him realizing anything until it was too late.

There was little that he hated more than feeling forced into a situation.

The way he saw it, Sasuke and him were currently left with two options: They could run and hope they would be able to make it out in one piece - or they could stand and fight and hope they didn't die too quickly.

But of course, Kakashi had never run away from a fight in his entire life and he didn't plan to start doing it now. Stand and fight it was. Maybe there was time to reflect about life choices later?

"Thank you for bringing the last of the Uchihas to us, we would never have been able to achieve this by ourselves," Rin sneered.

Kakashi recognized her as "evil" Rin, the one who had never even tried to hide her murderous tendencies. It was also the Rin most eager to hurt people. But maybe they both were eager. Nobody lived through what they had and didn't come out of it fully deranged.

As far as showdowns went, this one was probably going to be just as epic as the Madara-Obito-Kaguya showdown had been. For all of Kakashi's reluctance to accept praise for his military achievements, he also wouldn't want to miss a decisive battle.

And at the moment, he was itching for a fight. Badly.

"What is this place," Sasuke demanded to know, brushing the hair away from his face so that his Rinnegan could be put to full use. He turned his head in all directions, switching on his Mangekyo Sharingan as well. Kakashi felt the chakra rise in the room. The eyes glared down at them with unhidden hatred. He didn't know whether they were sentient beings, a protection system for the God Tree or something else entirely.

"A place of birth, a place of death," the 'nice' Rin said. She even managed a sweet smile that made Kakashi see the girl she had once been behind the woman she had become.

"Our birth, your death," Evil Rin snickered.

"Oh yeah?" Sasuke scoffed. "You're not the first to wish me dead. Nor are you the most powerful I ever faced. Don't expect any leniency from me later."

"Arrogant," the first Rin murmured, pulling a face. "Annoying. In short, Uchiha."

"You!" the other Rin pointed at Kakashi, "come here."

"Hm?" Kakashi tilted his head. Now for the good part.

"Come here," she repeated, her tone more commanding.

She switched on her Mangekyo Sharingan for emphasis. Kakashi felt the pull of the Genjutsu like a hand that clenched around his throat and tried to drag him forward.

"No," he said and planted his feet down more firmly. No. No. He would not budge.

"Come here!" she yelled, pulling much more strongly. Pain exploded in his head but he stood his ground, gritting his teeth, waiting for it to pass.

"It's not possible," Kabuto murmured behind her. "How can he...?"

"Did you mess up again?" Nice Rin hissed at him.

The pressure lessened. Ah, but Kakashi felt satisfied. It had worked! He had purged the word that had the power to unlock him and turn him into a red puppet from his head, had chased it away with virtual fire and determination. The Curse Mark was deactivated. All the rooms in his head were clean, full of sunshine and suffused with cherry blossom scent.