39. | Sue me

Dedicated to ilovevirginbadboys

38.

sue me

EMERY AND CAELUM made up the next day.

They acted like nothing had happened the day before, and Emery didn't want to let me in on the reason for their argument.

I didn't want to pry since it was none of my business, but I was dying to know what happened between them. I thanked the heavens I wasn't some cat because curiosity killed the cat and my hunger for answers was on another level.

I still hadn't apologized to Caelum about my behavior and whenever I decided to speak to him about it, I was either interrupted by somebody, or I chickened out.

Melanie was turning seventeen in three days, and she was excited. Yes, I changed the subjects, sue me.

So like I said, Mel was super pumped for her birthday party, and she had already printed out the invitation cards. When did Melanie print them? I had no idea. All I knew was she came to school that morning with a large bag filled with cards. It seemed she was planning on inviting the whole school, but what did I know?

"The three of you are my bestest friends in the entire world," she said, resting her weight on the hood of Clara's car. "So, y'all don't need no invitation card to step into my partay."

"Okay." Clara eyed her warily. "Can we like go into the school or something? I'm freezing out here."

"Yeah," I agreed. "Can we not stay outside here?"

She grinned, shaking her head. "I'm turning like seventeen guys, so I give the shots here."

"Shut up Mel." Emery yawned. "I'm older than you."

Melanie sighed. "I'm still older than Daesyn," she said, "and Clara."

I groaned. "I don't think anybody here cares, can we go in before we all freeze to death?"

She stretched her arms out wide. "The smell of December is amazing."

Though December smelt thickly of fog, it was really amazing. The rain had fallen more than it had fallen at the end of November, and the angry skies and fierce winds promised snow. I hoped it wasn't going to disappoint.

Clara narrowed her eyes at her, clearly annoyed. "Do what you want Melanie," she said, gesturing towards the school building. "I'm going in. And because you made me mad this fine morning, I sure as hell won't be attending your party."

"What?" Melanie jolted up from the hood. "Let's go in, please. I'm sorry!"

Clara jutted her chin out, placing a hand on her forehead. "Too late Mel, you already broke my heart."

"I'm sorry Clara." Melanie picked her bag and chased after Clara. "I was just joking!"

Before they both disappeared into the building, Clara sent a wink over her shoulder and I realized she was only messing around.

"Daesyn?" Emery called, and I turned away from our friends. "You know I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize our friendship, right?"

"I know Em." I nodded slowly, a confused look taking over my face. "What happened?"

Shaking her head, she wrung her hands together. "I just want you to know that no matter what happens, I cherish our friendship too much."

"Tell me what's going on!"