Chapter 6: Miss Scrooge No-More

"It is a wonderful party. You did a good job." I heard someone say from behind me as I was watching my sister and my now brother-in-law clink their glasses for the wedding reception toast.

I know that voice anywhere. I don't even have to look at him to see how despicable the owner of that voice was.

"What are you doing here, jerk?!" I turned around and came face to face with the guy that ruined my wonderful view on Christmas.

"Believe it or not, your 'new' brother-in-law invited me." Justin, the jerk, said haughtily.

"I don't believe that..." I stammered, as I try to compose myself.

"Believe it, sweetheart." The jerk slithered. "Should we celebrate this reunion with a toast?" He asked.

I arched my brow as he tried to touch the tip of his wine glass with my champagne one. I tried to move it away from his reach that I spilled the rest of the champagne to the person beside me.

"What the heck have you done?" The lady that received the brunt of my spilt drink demanded.

She yelled it so loud that everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me. Once again, I am the centre of attraction.

"I am very sorry." I immediately apologized as I grabbed some napkins to dab on the stain on her satin dress.

I heard her irritating voice as she kept on reprimanding me nonstop. "Robert!" She screamed some more and a tall guy in an expensive looking suit appeared out of nowhere.

"What is it, honey?" Robert, who looked like the lady's husband, asked.

"Look at what this woman did to me!" She shrieked as she pointed on her dress.

I swear, at this moment, I was still being stared at by everyone. I felt so embarrass.

Justin the jerk kept snickering and people around me whispered. I wanted to cry so bad or probably wait for the ground to swallow me whole.

I can see that Mitch and Jason stopped their supposed cheers and my dad halted his congratulatory speech as they started to run towards me.

Everything felt like in slow motion. I can still hear this Robert fellow bellowing about how expensive the dress is and how am I going to pay for it. I kept myself quiet as I tried to transcribe everything they were mouthing at me.

"That's enough!" I heard someone say in an authoritative voice. My dad and my sister stopped where they were running at as I saw Jason holding on both of their shoulders.

And also on that moment, the continuous yakking of these two people beside me stopped.

"You really do make a habit of making yourself stand out, do you?" I looked up and set my eyes on my saviour.

"Thomas." I said his name and he smiled lopsidedly.

"Yes, milady?" He bemusedly responded as he held my hand and tucked it underneath his arm.

"Signor San Jose, I did not realize you were here today?" Robert, the husband, suddenly said.

I looked at him and look at the guy beside me. Thomas just kept on smiling.

"Of course." Thomas started as he kept his hold on my hand. "I wouldn't miss Jason's wedding." He said as he started to tighten his grip on me.

"Ahh...yes! Of course." Robert was the one stammering this time while his wife kept on tugging on his coat.

"Well, we should get going Marissa." Robert said to the screaming lady. "But, what about my dress?" She yelled childishly.

"I'll pay for it." Thomas said as he extended his arm and suddenly received a slim leather case from an assistant who was apparently standing by his side all the time.