Chapter 9

Hey guys!

I truly am sorry for the long lasting delay but I'm back! :)

Enjoy.

*****************************************************************************************

By the time Zayn intercepted the girl, the truck was already breaking to turn around. Someone was shouting. “She’s out! We lost one!”

“This way!” Zayn said, reaching towards the girl with one hand and gesturing with the other.

Up close he could see that the girl was small, with disheveled blond hair falling over her forehead. Her breathing was rapid. Instead of looking grateful, she seemed terrified by Zayn’s arrival. She stared at Zayn a moment, then she tried to dart away.

Zayn snagged her in midlunge. “I’m your friend! Come on! We’ve got to go between streets, where the truck can’t follow us.”

The truck was finishing its turn. Headlights swept toward them. Zayn looped an arm around the girl’s waist and took off a dead run.

The blonde girl was carried along. She whimpered but she ran, too.

Zayn was heading for the area between two of the warehouses. He knew that if there really were vampires in that truck, his only chance was to get himself and the blonde girl to his car. One thing that all the frictional vampire romance stories got down correctly was that vampires were much faster than humans.

He’d picked these two warehouses because the chain-link fence behind them wasn’t high and had no barbed wire at the top. As they reached it, Zayn gave the girl a little shove. “Climb!”

“I can’t!”, The girl was trembling and gasping. Zayn looked her over and realized that it was probably the literal truth. The girl didn’t look as if she’d ever climbed anything in her life. She was wearing tight jeans and high heels as if she had just stepped out of a shopping trip. She probably was.

Zayn saw the truck’s headlights in the street and heard the engine slowing.

“You have to!”, he said. “Unless you want to go back with them.” He interlocked his fingers, making a step with his hands. “Here! Put your foot here and then just try to grab on when I bounce you up.”

The girl looked too scared not to try. She put her foot in Zayn’s hand-just as the headlights switched off.

It was what Zayn had expected. The darkness was an advantage to the vampires; they could see much better in it than humans. They were going to follow on foot.

Zayn took a breath, then heaved upward explosively as he exhaled. The blond girl went sailing toward the top of the fence with a shriek.

A bare instant later, Zayn launched himself at the top of the fence, grabbed it, and swung his legs over. He dropped to the ground almost noiselessly and held his arm up to the blond girl.