TWELVE

“He hasn’t even reached out?” Flo questions, her fingers fishing through the fabrics of beautiful satin and beaded gowns. I shake my head and smile sadly, my own eyes scanning across the endless sea of whites and ivory with the odd daring pale pink tucked away at the end. “I just don’t understand. How could he be so…” 

“Insensitive?” I finish with a huff. “I don’t know. I don’t understand any of it. I’ve never gave Colin any reason to hate me the way he does, and I know Jason’s never done anything to upset him either. I mean, he followed in his dad’s footsteps by opening chains of hotels when his heart is in restaurants. I don’t understand what he wants from him, or I. I think if we were to offer blood it still wouldn’t be enough.” 

It has been two weeks since the explosive dinner that ruined our engagement announcement, and two weeks since Jason and Colin crossed paths. Rachel had stretched herself in appearing at our house alone a few days a week, but never mentioning her estranged husband who seemingly fell off the radar from that night - purposely or not. I knew the situation was upsetting for Jason, I saw the strain but he was so desperately trying to hide it. 

“He’s selfish.” 

“He’s a dick.” Hannah mutters beneath her breath. My fingers land on the floor length, ivory dress with a sweetheart neckline, lace bodice and dipping into a subtle mermaid tail. Biting my inner cheek, I pull it from the rail and allow the long trail to sweep across the floor making the pair gasp. 

“That’s one of our Rocco Pierre designs imported only this month from Italy. We just unboxed it a few days ago.” The shop assistant informs, appearing by our sides with clasped hands. “It’s a beautiful piece. We were lucky enough to even get our hands on this one, there’s only a handful in the world. Would you like to try it on?” 

“Please.” I smile shyly. She guides me behind the thick white curtains and helps me shimmy out of my clothes and into the enchanting wedding dress. Before even seeing my reflection in the covered mirror, my stomach was tight. The assistant, Stefanie, finishes the buttons on the back before reaching to the hanger on the wall and removing the veil, sliding it through a top layer of hair and fixing it over my shoulders. 

“I know I say this a lot because it’s my job, but, wow.” Stefanie grins wide. “Ready to see yourself?” 

“Is anyone ever ready to see themselves in a wedding dress?” I giggle nervously. She tugs the cover from the mirror and my heart jitters. Every childhood vision was coming true. I twist and turn in every direction, inspecting myself in this figure hugging dream. For once, in a very, very, long time. I looked at myself with nothing but admiration and self-love. I didn’t see a pocketed belly or pale skin. I saw myself - I saw Jason’s wife. 

“You ready to let you sisters see?” She asks with a wide grin. “The pregnant one is already crying out there.” 

I laughed and nod, the knot in the pit of my throat not allowing me to talk. She peels back the curtain. Flo was pacing behind the beautiful crushed velvet, chaise lounger while Hannah was focused across the glossy magazine oozing with expensive venues and luscious flowers. They snapped their heads upright. With one blink, the tears poured and Stefanie was quickly at aid with tissues for the three of us. 

“Oh, Frankie.” She wails. “It’s so perfect.” 

“You think so?” 

“Definitely.” She sobs. She hobbles to her swollen feet and embraces me tightly. “I’m so proud of you, Frank. So proud.” 

When she steps back and I wipe my eyes, I run my hands across my hips. “This is it. It’s the dress. The first dress - is that normal?” 

“More normal than you think.” Stefanie giggles. “Some brides don’t even try on their dresses. Believe me, I went to a wedding in Chicago where the bride didn’t even see the dress until the morning of the wedding. So I would say you’re doing pretty good. If you want to hold still, I’m just going to pin a few parts I think could be altered.”