Return to Corna Part 2

So, this is the last chapter, sort of. There is a few more loose ends to tie up, in the next few days the final chapters of it's sister fic Second Chances will be up, showing how Edmund and Sophia handled the aftermath of the fire, and ending with King Edmund's wedding (Eugene and Varian have a place in that chapter). Then There's a 'missing scene' one- shot coming called 'A proper goodbye', and then it all ends with a five years later epilogue, the title chapter being 'no longer enough', so watch this space over the next few days.

*** 

   They arrived at the castle gates, two familiar guards stood on either side.

"Hey Pete!" Varian said running up to one of the guard. He turned and have them a slight look of panic when he saw Cassandra, lowering his spike slightly before a look of realization ran over his face.

"Or yeah, you're a good guy again right?"

"Right." Cassandra said.

"I hear congratulations are in order." Varian was saying happily.

"Shush, how did you know?" Pete said looking around. "Nobody was meant to know yet, I only told Lady Crawley, Stan of course, my mother, Faith's mother, the chef, Monty, Attila, the Princess, the Prince, the Queen, the King, and a couple of stranger I met in the bar last night, but they weren't even from here."

"Uh.. It's kinda town news Pete."

"Congratulations?" Cassandra asked.

"Faith is expecting."

"Faith?" Cassandra said shocked.

"They're married."

"The moment we got back from the Redemption Citadel. About two months ago now."

"And how far along is she?"

"About three months.. uh I mean.. two months, definitely two months. We've only been married two months after all haha." Pete laughed nervously. "But the uh.. doctor said to expect the baby a month early because she has umm... speedy pregnancy signs..."

Cassandra raised an eyebrow, and Varian was trying and failing to hide a smirk.

"I've heard about that, speedy pregnancy signs."

"Yeah, it's a thing."

"Well, send her my congratulations and best wishes, won't you?" Varian said clasping the man on the shoulder.

"Will do." Pete said as they walked past him into the castle ground.

"So, where do you think they'll be?" Cassandra asked, still trying to absorb the fact that Varian's ex had managed to get pregnant and married in the few months since she'd last seen her.

"They'll be in the nursery waiting for me to show up and check everything is alright to remove them from the cots. Hey, I've got an idea." Varian said suddenly stopping.

"What?"

"Come with me." He said grabbing hold of her hand and pulling her up the stairs and through the corridors.

"Where are we going?"

"The nursery, we should hide you from Rapunzel so you can jump out and surprise her."

"Is that the best idea?"

"It's an awesome idea, as she's no longer pregnant there's no chance of shocking her into labour, or into wetting herself."