Fight or Flight

After trying most of the jobs in the glade, there were only the med-jacks, and the runners. Secretly, I kind of wanted to be a med-jack because the runners job seemed too dangerous and tiring. Clint seemed nice and he made a good med-jack. His fingers were fast and could easily wrap a bandage in under three seconds. When I gave it a try, it took me two seconds.

"Wow! That's the fastest time yet! Maybe you could be a med-jack?" Newt said.

"I'm sure you would be a great help to us." Clint inquired. I caught him staring at me more than a few times.

Next was the runners. To be honest, I didn't mind running that much, but doing it everyday seemed a little much. I was greeted by a tall Asian boy named Minho and I wondered what Thomas had meant before about what would happened if Minho had found me before himself.

"Okay greenie. This job isn't for anyone. You need endurance, strength, and a good memory. First, I want you to run around the glade until I tell you to stop." He said quickly. I didn't say a word but just started to run around the glade for what seemed like hours. As I ran I thought about what Minho would have done to me if he found me and came to the conclusion that he probably would have made me run laps around the maze until I got eaten by a griever. Finally Minho stopped me.

"Alright Amber, you ran thirty-seven laps in an hour. That's more than I did on my first day..." Minho said in a surprised tone.

"Good job greenie." Newt said incredulously. "Bloody good job..."

"Thanks guys..." I say, out of breath. "Can I have some water?"

Minho jogged over to Frypan to get some water. "You know, I was a runner once, but I sprained my ankle a few times and my leg just hasn't been working right ever since." Newt told me. His mind seemed to wander.

"That's too bad..." I say solemnly. "I'm sure you must've been quite the runner though."

"What makes you think that? Newt asked.

The question caught me off guard. "I don't know, you just have the build of a runner and you're all... tough." I say for lack of better words. Newt started to laugh.

"I was just teasing you greenie." He said light heartedly.

Minho came over with some water and handed it to me. I drank all of it in under a minute and my throat was still parched.

"It's time for dinner anyway, so you can get some more water." Minho said. We started to walk over to the dining area when I tripped on a rock. I started to fall over but a pair of strong arms helped keep my balance. When I looked up I saw Newt's face tinted with a slight pink.

"Thanks..." I say, looking down.

"Okay love birds, we need to get to dinner now." Minho said. Newt rolled his eyes and set me back on my feet gently.

"Are you okay? I've tripped on those bloody rocks a million bloody times." Newt asked in his sweet accent.

"Ya, I'm fine." I say. I feel the heat rushing into my cheeks. When we reach the eating area, Chuck rushes up to me.

"Wow Amber you ran faster than Minho did before!" Chuck exclaimed.

"Good job." Thomas greeted me with a small smile. "You'd make a good runner."

"Thanks guys." I say happily. Most of my energy had seeped away from the running. If this was what the runners have to do everyday, I don't think I would survive. I got some chicken and beans from Frypan and sat down with Chuck, Minho, Thomas, and Newt.

"The counsel is going to meet to discuss what job you should be given." Newt said to me after he finished his food.

"What's your job?" I ask after swallowing a gulp of water.