The Begining Of A New Life

I woke up with the bright sun beating against my eyes. A tall figure looming over me. It took some time to adjust, but after I finally did, I realized there were metal walls with vines surrounding me.

"Hello?" I asked the figure with a raspy voice.

"Where did you come from? What is your name?" The guy asked hurriedly.

"It's... Amber..." I replied. "What happened? Why can't I remember anything?"

"Come with me. I'm going to take you to the glade." The guy said a bit cryptically. He put his hand out and I grabbed it before he pulled me to my feet.

"What's your name?" I asked curiously.

"Thomas." He replied with a half smile. "Do you think you can run?"

"I don't know.." I admitted. Thomas's dark hair stuck to his forehead and he was breathing heavily.

"Well try to keep up. We only have half an hour before the maze closes." Thomas said as he started to run. I let out a sigh and started to run after him. Surprisingly enough, I didn't have a very hard time keeping up. In fact, I probably could have passed him if I'd known where I was going.

Finally, I had reached what I assumed was the glade. A group of boys all crowded in a circle. To my dismay, there wasn't a single girl.

A tall boy with some freckles walked up to Thomas. "What did you do? This could be a trap!" The guy said angrily.

"Calm down Gally." Thomas said calmly. "I found her in the middle of my section today and I couldn't just leave her."

"Well now, thanks to you, we might just end up as griever bait!" Gally spoke harshly and his eyebrows rose and scrunched in distress.

I noticed that all the guys were whispering to each other and occasionally staring at me. "I don't know how I got here, but I don't imagine I'm welcome." I say quietly.

"That's right your not welcome you shank head!" Gally said harshly. Though I had no idea what the word meant, it obviously was some form of insult. Just then the walls surrounding the glade started closing. "Oh great! Put her in the pit until we can figure out what to do with this klunk." Gally almost whined.

"I have a name thank you very much!" This dude was seriously getting on my nerves.

"Please, enlighten us." Gally said as he crossed his arms expectantly.

"It's Amber."

"Well then Amy, Chuck and Newt are going to take you to the pit so you don't cause any more trouble." Gally said with a glare. I stepped toward Gally in what I hoped would be an intimidating advance. It was then that I realized he was about five inches taller than me.

"My name is Amber." I say with a unwavering voice.

"Oh ya? Says who?" Gally says as he makes an advancement toward me. To my utter surprise he shoves me into Thomas and starts to turn around toward the group.

I lose my temper and throw a punch at his right cheek. He barely flinches and turns to me slowly as he touches his cheek. "Ooh I like you. You're just a little fire cracker aren't you? Take her away now."

Two boys walk toward me cautiously. Once out of earshot, the slightly chubby boy said, "You know, it's about time someone did that. I'm Chuck by the way, and this is Newt."

I couldn't help but manage a smile. "Nice to meet you." I say curtly.

"So this here's the the pit." Newt said as he gestured toward a small pit with bars to keep people inside. Newt was a few inches taller than me and like everyone else, he was a little dirty. His blonde hair was actually kind of neat, he had intense hazel eyes, and he had some kind of British accent.