Chapter 8 - Ghosts of the Past

"Champion Juliet..."

"OK, OK. I heard you the first time. You're not going to stop calling me that, are you?"

"Deep down, you miss being called that, no?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Your nightmares reveal to me events from your past. The moments that haunt you. Besides, the attire you don in your dreams reflects the wish that never came to be."

"What are you talking-" Wait. What was she wearing?! It didn't feel like her pajamas and her hair was up. And it was tied up with a ribbon? And were those hoop earrings dangling from her ears? Her ears weren't pierced though! She put her arms out in front of her and even in the darkness, she could make out the feeling and outline of white fingerless gloves that were lined with gold that stretched just shy of her elbows.

Wasn't this...

"Do you remember? This was what you wanted to wear if your reign as Champion extended into your adolescence, even into your adulthood."

It was true. She vaguely remembered the drawing she doodled as a child of just that. The scrawls were incomprehensible though, but perhaps part of her consciousness filled in the gaps of what it could have been. It was bittersweet though, that she got the chance to see it fully realized in her dreams.

"Huh...So, I had big dreams like that..."

Moments that haunt her, huh? Yeah, this would have been one of those moments. Being reminded of what she wanted to be made her wish she had her child-like innocence again; instead of adopting a cynical outlook on the world. What a nosy Pokemon. She didn't want to admit it right away but, in a way, she had thought about what her life would have been like if she tread down the path of a Champion for however long she could uphold it.

And there wasn't anything wrong with looking back and reminding herself of some of the positive moments that made her feel strong.

Champion Juliet...A title that served as a double-edge sword to her pride.

"OK. Maybe you're right. But it's not like I see myself with that kind of power anymore."

"And why is that?"

"Well..."

"I don't understand the importance of titles and status that you humans are so fond of, but aren't titles just imaginary labels to make one feel mightier than they actually are?"

"That's...a blunt way of putting it. I guess you're not wrong."

"Then, wouldn't that render titles in themselves meaningless? Whether you are a Champion or not, it doesn't eliminate the power you had from when that title was given to you."

"...Are you saying that even if I'm not a Champion anymore, I still have...a heart of one?"

"That's for you to decide. I'm merely speaking from my perspective."

Who knew Darkrai could be so philosophical? It was...honestly refreshing to hear the viewpoints of someone who wasn't human, so the judgement felt more objective.

"...Can't you show yourself to me already? Allister was able to see you."

"Ahh yes. That boy. He has tremendous power to be able to see me outside of the realm of dreams."