Chapter 46

"Say not in grief, that she is no more, but be thankful that she ever was... and though she was taken far too soon, may her enduring light show us a way through this darkness. Let us mourn... because we cannot move on until we do... and though the pain may at times seem like more than we can bear... make no mistake... we will move on. Yeah, even now the words of Ecclesiasticus are ringing in my ears. They're saying, Vengeance, as a lion, shall lie in wait for them" Vincent says as we stand around Davina's grave. I play with the hem of my dress.

"A while ago...forever ago, I told Davina a story about my first boyfriend... but what I didn't tell her was that... I had never shared that story with anyone else. She was like a sister and a best friend... and I loved her" Josh says. I wipe my tears away.

"I'm sorry. I can't" I say shaking my head. Kol takes my hand.

"Words aren't any good. The Mikaelsons need to answer for this. I'm gonna make them answer. I promise" Marcel says. I look up at him and he looks away.

"Where were you all night?" Kol says as we walk back to the compound.

"Walking around...tending to some unfinished business" I say.

"Amelia..." He says. I shake my head and stop at the door.

"Kol please stop. I can't right now. I lost my two best friends in the space of a day. I'm not going to pretend to be okay especially when your family is the reason" I say.

"What about me?" He asks.

"I love you. You are the father of my kids and the love of my life. If it wasn't for Davina I wouldn't have had anyone to help me. Even Klaus, Elijah and Rebekah. They just care about protecting this family. What about my family? Davina, Cami, Josh, Aiden, Stefan, Damon and the others? They would kill them all in a heartbeat" I say. He takes my hands in his.

"Then we leave. You me and the twins" He says. I look up at him in shock.

"You can't abandon your family" I whisper.

"You are my family" He says lifting my head up to look at him. I smile and we walk upstairs. Freya is in the study.

"I didn't think anyone was here," She says.

"Did you think we'd be at Cami's wake? You know what? It turns out, I hit my funeral quota for the day" Kol says. I grab a drink and turn to her.

"It was Davina's this morning" I say.

"You remember her. Our best friend, condemned to an unknowable hell" Kol says walking over to Freya.

"Kol" I warn.

"And what's your excuse, Sister? Were you so overcome with guilt at what you did, that you couldn't bring yourself to indulge in whiskey and finger food? Or were you just too busy desecrating more dead? Is this to be your hobby now?" Kol continues.

"When Lucien died, he was convinced the prophecy would still unfold. I need to know if he was right. These are the remains of his oracle Alexis. Hers was a power I barely understood, but now that my own strength has been augmented by the Ancestors, I can try to channel her. Forecast as she did, and find out if Lucien was right, or if we can finally put this nightmare behind us" Freya explains. Kol and I share a look.

"I personally hope the bloody prophecy is true. You can all rot in Hell, for all I care. I'm just sorry I won't be around to see it" Kol says. He helps me stand up and we walk towards the door.

"Where are you going?" She asks.

"None of your business. All right? There is nothing for us here" Kol says, turning to her.