Teenage Runaway.

The subway was boarding the last of its passengers when I made my decision.

I had about a £100 in my purse, my dead cellphone, and a dried up Chapstick that was missing the cap.

My ticket was punched and I boarded the subway, the destination was a town just outside of Cheshire, Northwich, a place that I'd never been.

The greeter smiled at me, and nodded once as I passed by her and walked onto the subway.

"Have a nice ride!" She called after me, in a way too peppy attitude.

Whatever.
I rolled my eyes and sat in a seat all the way in the back, turning my back to the woman across from me and stared out the window as we passed out of the tunnel and onto a track that was more like a train.

The countryside flew by me in a green and brown blur.
The trees had just started to turn brown for winter, and honestly their appearance was depressing me.

"Why is such a young lady like yourself going to Northwich alone? It's not a very good area." the lady across from me prodded, and I turned towards her.

She reminded me of my mother.
A hard-set serious looking face, but kind eyes.
Her lips were slightly creased up, giving me a warm smile.

"I have something to take care of." I replied shortly.

"Oh, that's interesting sweetie. Is everything alright? Your eyes look quite distressed."

"I'm fine." I replied sharply.

"Well..." She trailed off, staring past me out the window, like I wasn't even there.
She snapped back, and her eyes met mine again. "Do you have a name, lovely?"

"Yeah, Audrey."

"Well Audrey, it's very nice to meet you. You can call me Veronica." She smiled again, extending her hand out towards me.

I shook it briefly and then a voice came over the loudspeaker, "Good afternoon everyone, we've just arrived at Northwich and will begin releasing momentarily. Please be sure you've grabbed all of your belongings and exit in an orderly fashion. Thank you for choosing English Trams!"

I stood up as the subway stopped, and smiled at Veronica.
The doors slid open and I stepped out into the station.
The area was very gloomy looking.
There were hardly any trees, and the cars were all old and ancient looking.
Everything was covered in a layer of rust.

Well, no one said freedom was beautiful.

~

Two votes for another chapter?
I know that Northwich isn't really run down like I described it, I just need to set the mood for the story. (:
Vote?
- S