Start

Hyunjin and Jeungin both walked through the city, ice cream cones in hand, that evening.

     "... the plays are going really well," Hyunjin continued to Jeongin, filling him in on the happenings of the drama club. "Our idea isn't the most original, but the parts are difficult, so it'll really show our skills."

     "That's nice," Jeongin said. But Hyunjin heard it. A bitter tone to Jeongin's voice.

     He stopped. "Okay, what's wrong?"

     "What?" Jeongin asked, surprised at the question. "Nothing. I'm fine."

     But after years of hanging around the positive Jeongin, Hyunjin knew how to tell a fake smile. "Um, no you're not. So tell me what's wrong."

     Jeongin stayed silent. But after remembering what he had said, Hyunjin had a pretty good idea why Jeongin was upset. His expression softened.

     "It sucks that you can't join the club this year," Hyunjin said. "I can stop talking about it so much, if you want."

     Jeongin's shock told Hyunjin that he had guessed correctly. "No! Look..."

     He hesitated. "I'm... happy for you, I really am. And I know I can join next year. But... I hate the feeling of missing out. Like I'm falling behind."

     Hyunjin sighed. He figured as much. Yet, despite knowing he would miss out, Jeongin had loyally reminded Hyunjin about the drama club and had been excited for him the full way. Hyunjin had so much respect for that.

     Hyunjin put his hand on Jeongin's shoulder. "Thank you for telling me. And you don't need to worry. I'm going to need a lot of help with the play going forward and there are a lot of parts you can try acting. You're not going to fall behind, not on my watch."

     Jeongin smiled, a real one this time. "Thanks, Hyunjin. Anything will help. And I still want to know everything about the club."

     "You sure?" Hyunjin asked.

     Jeongin nodded. "You know what, at this point, it doesn't even need to be the club. If I get any opportunity to act again..."

     "I'd love that."

     Hyunjin knew how that felt. He didn't know what he could do for Jeongin. They could only wait and see.

     And so, the two friends began to focus on their melting ice cream cones, not uttering another word about the topic.

     Hyunjin stayed awake at night, in deep thought.

     His conversation with Lee Know that afternoon was still fresh in his mind.

     Flashback:

     "A movie!?" Hyunjin exclaimed. "So you want to be an actor?"

     "Not necessarily..."  Lee Know said, trying to figure out how to explain it. "Simpler than that. Instead of acting on stage, I want a chance to be in front of the cameras. Even if it were just a mini project or something. But our school doesn't have anything like that. There's not even a film club at our school."

     He shrugged. "It's just a thought that comes to me from time to time."

     Present:

     A movie... Hyunjin thought about it. It didn't seem particularly complicated. Simply filming a story with cameras instead of on the stage. Lee Know's wish wasn't a huge one.