You Are My Equal

Patroclus is watching me run. Every afternoon once I have finished my duties, Patroclus and I leave the palace and explore the island of Scyros. It reminds me of the time he and I explored Mount Pelion when we were with Chiron. Our favorite spot is a cliff that overlooks the sea. On the cliff there is a field and Patroclus watches me run. I run so I can get all my energy out, so I do not feel as if I am going to burst. I finish the tenth lap I walk and sit where Patroclus is. He studies me with curiosity.
I put our foreheads together.
"What do you look at me so curiously?" I ask tilting my head when we break away. He smiles softly.
"You amaze me that's all." He says quietly.
"How do I amaze you my dearest Patroclus." I say laughing softly.
"When you run you look as if you are dancing, you are so graceful it sometimes looks like your feet don't touch the ground."He pauses a moment to gather his thoughts "you are not even breathing heavy or sweating and you look as beautiful as ever. You just amaze me that's all." He says blushing. I kiss his cheek.
"Do you want to go swimming?" I ask. He nods, smiling.
Once we climb down and reach the shore we take out tunics off. I study Patroclus' body. I can no longer count his ribs but they jut out when he moves at certain angles. He notices me looking.
"I'm alright." He says softly. I nod dismissively.
We wade into the water and once it reaches our hips he stops me by tugging my arm. When I met his gaze he looks at me sternly.
"You are not aloud to look at me like that anymore." I begin to speak but he cuts me off.
"When you look at me like that, it makes me think that what Deidameia said was true. That I'm unattractive and weak." My eyes widen.
"Patroclus none of what Deidameia said was true. Besides I don't look at you like that." He looks at me with frustration.
"Yes you do, you look at me like I'm a wounded animal not the way you used to look at me before." A silence stretches before he continues his voice now soft. "When you looked at me before, you made me feel as if I'm the only person in the world." I am at a loss for words so I just kiss him. He kisses me back hesitantly. I break away.
"Come with me." I say and lead him towards the shore. When we reach it I gently push Patroclus down on the sand and I sit in his lap, my legs hugging his hips. I put my arms around his neck.
"I'm sorry that I looked at you like that. You are not wounded or weak or unattractive. You are the opposite." I say softly. "You are my equal and half of my soul and I'm sorry if I made you feel anything less." In response he kisses me and I kiss him back. I kiss down his neck to his chest. When I look up he looks at me affectionately "I was just worried and I felt like it was my fault." I say almost in a whisper. He nods. "It is not your fault Achilles, I stopped eating because I was worried and that is my fault not yours." I nod.