pleasant surprises

wei wuxian's upcoming end of the semester presentation is already extremely hard to master. having zither nerd lan wangji as his partner... will be a new level of difficulty.

or

your basic metalhead!au/classicalmusician!au... or is iiiiit?

!!also nsfw warning for this one. it's kind of plot relevant, so if you don't like smut, just skip this oneshot!!

it's a pretty mediocre thursday morning. wei ying has almost missed class due to sleeping in and it's out of question whether he got the coffee that gives him the ability to function in the morning. he didn't, in case anyone's still wondering. he has been able to snatch a raspberry jam croissant from wen ning, though. that's a plus. what really turns this morning into a rather shit one, is when he notices that the adorable, tiny skulls that were so professionally painted onto his nails by wen ning, disappeared almost completely. cheap department store nail polish really isn't it.

before he can start complaining to his younger friend, their professor comes in and starts dictating his boring lecture about the significance of baroque organs during the century they were invented, versus after it. wei ying doesn't care. he has thought about using organs in one of the latest songs he's produced, but it doesn't really matter, what fucking century they're from. he decided against them, in the end, anyways. mianmian, a quite forward rnb and rock fan, that has somehow managed to join their very exquisite friendship circle, slaps his head around the end of the lesson, when the prof, finally, gives them some in sight in their end of the year project.
usually, they'd get their partners assigned now, that were picked from the university's orchestra. wei ying can't stand them, they're all a bunch of snobs, that half heartedly play in the orchestra and hope to get their grades up a bit by joining forces for this project. they have no passion for music and this year is no exception. it just ends up with the music students, so wei ying and his friends, having to do all the work. wei ying really wants to turn in a song for this semester's project, but he knows, that having to work with someone from their orchestra might ruin that plan of his. it turns out, that he doesn't have to worry about those too well known snobs. this year the orchestra has too little attendance to organize a collab between the club and the class of music. instead, their prof has turned to the "cloud recesses", an elite college in gusu, which is about half an hour away by public transportation. the music classes there are said to be top notch, it's been wei ying's dream college for a long time, but oh, well, not everyone can afford their tuition.

the orchestra of cloud recesses is nationally famous, so collaborating with its members is going to be huge. they're probably even more arrogant, so wei ying lets his head drop with a hard pang, while the hat with name's of the gusu orchestra's people is going around. they're actually drawing lots. how endearing. this feels like secret santa in seventh grade. the hat arrives and wen ning quickly takes out a note. 'su minshan' is what it reads when wei ying looks over with curiosity. 'second violin'. not bad, there definitely must be some potential with this guy, so wen ning and he will probably find some similar interest. his friend has learned the cello because of his uncle for years now, but actually turned out to hate it a lot less than expected. now he's still playing, adding quite some cool background sounds in their bands tracks.

mianmian groans a bit, so wei ying looks over his shoulder, after taking the hat. 'jin zixuan', the horn. wei ying can't hide his smirk. jin zixuan is pretty famous. he's known to be the biggest dick on campus and money is definitely the only thing that brought him into cloud recesses. "good luck!" he winks at mianmian, before turning to the hat, to pick his fate. he pulls out a slip of paper and slowly unfolds it: 'lan wangji' it says. 'guqin (zither)'. lan wangji. never heard of him. but a zither? the dream of turning in a song for his work seems to be moving into impossible widths. wei ying can't help but hold some grudges, before even meeting the guy. after class, he decides to still give it a shot and texts the number that was written on the tiny paper.