Chapter 5; New girl

Ethan's pov

As soon as I enter my first hour, people keep talking about a new girl. I wasn't really all that interested in her to be honest.

If she was anything like the previous new kids than she'd be popular within a week or she'd just fizzle out into the crowd and nobody would notice her.

I used to care about new kids. I'd try and be their friend, give them a place to sit but for some reason they'd all stop talking to me and hang out with the popular crowd or the mean kids that hang out in the bathroom.

After last year I decided that they weren't worth my time and this girl wasn't any different.

Our teacher walks in the classroom with a girl by her side.

She had blonde hair with light purple ends. She had piercing blue eyes, a crop top that said Softie in swirly letters and a skirt.

She'd probably be popular within a few hours seeing as though all of the guys were already talking about her.

I shrug it off, not caring anymore. I open up my notebook and flip to and empty page. "Madison Jacobs..yep you're right next to Ethan Nestor."

I look up when I hear my name. The teacher was pointing at my empty table.

All the guys give me envious looks. Madison walks up to my desk and sits in the empty seat.

The teacher sits at her desk and class resumes as normal. We were supposed to be taking notes but I was more interested in doodling on my paper.

"Is that the GOOP logo?" I look to my side. The new girl was looking at my doodles. "Yeah..wait you watch GOOP?" I question her. GOOP was a interesting show that I wouldn't expect a girl like her to watch.

"Are you kidding? That's like my favorite show!" She says grinning. "I thought I was the only one!"

"Welp not anymore. I'm Maddy," she says holding out her hand. "Ethan,"

Instead of doing a normal handshake we do the iconic GOOP handshake which earns weird looks from people in the class.

We share a laugh and spend the rest of the hour quietly chatting about GOOP.

^^^

At lunch I let Maddy sit with us. Since Cory wasn't here and neither was Pam and Brandon.

Maddy and I continued our own conversation while everyone else at our table pitched in at certain times.

Subconsciously, I scan the lunchroom until I see Mark. He was already looking at me.

Embarrassed, I look away and feel my cheeks heat up.

Why was I so embarrassed? It's just Mark. It's not that big of a deal.

"Ethan?" I snap back into reality. Everyone at the table was giving me this expecting stare. "What?"

"Are you okay? Your face is really red." Mika asks me. "Yeah I'm fine I just zoned out."

"Do you need to get some water..maybe eat something?"

I never told Mika about my Depression,  anxiety or anxiety attacks but one time I did have an attack infront of her.

I don't let her bring it up because it feels weird talking about it.

"I'm just gonna go to the bathroom." I say standing up. Mika gives me another worried look as I walk away.

I go to the bathroom and just stare at the mirror. I'd have to leave in a few minutes because teens would start piling in here to do whatever.

As I was in deep thought I feel someone come up behind me. I look in the mirror, surprised when I see Mark.

"Didn't mean to startle you." Mark says standing by my side. "You come in here to think?" I ask him leaning against the counter.

"Usually I'd be in the computer room but there's a class in there. What about you? What are you trying to escape from?"

Without giving it a second thought I blurt out the truth. "Me," I instantly regret it. I made it too sad. Great job, Ethan.

"Aren't we all. Speaking of escape, you wanna come over to my place? We could film the first half of the video and we'd get to hang out."

"Yeah that actually sounds really fun. I can show off my nice recording skills and my editing skills." I say grinning.

The bathroom door opens and a bunch of emo kids walk in. Mark and I leave the bathroom.

"Well I'm heading back to reality. See ya Ethan." He smiles and enters the cafeteria again.

"Back into reality I go." I say under my breath before going back into the cafeteria. When I sit down Maddy was doing something on her phone.

"Oh my gosh you DID go to see Mark!" Mika says loudly. "No, I went to the bathroom."

"When you left I saw Mark follow you and you were in there a long time." Mika wiggles her eyebrows at me. I shake my head.

"Nothing happened. At all. Drop it." I say slowly to show her I was serious. The jokes were funny and all but considering I've never felt that way about anyone. It got under my skin more than it should.

"Fine." She says rolling her eyes.

Mika stands up and walk out of the cafeteria. Why was she in such a bad mood today? Did my thing about Mark make her that upset? Or was it something else?

By now it was just Maddy and I at the table. "Who is that?" I look at Maddy. "That guy over there?"

I look in the direction she was pointing at. "Oh that's Finn. He's got art class with me."

"He's so cute. What art class do you have?"

I tell her, to which she squeals excitedly. "It's your first day here and you already like someone?" I ask her.

"Yes. How could you not? He's perfect!"

Wow.

It was her first day here and she already had a crush. Yet I've been here since middle school and I haven't had one tiny crush. What is wrong with me?

I force a smile on my face and tell Maddy all I know about Finn, which wasn't a lot but it was enough to make her head over heels for him.

While Maddy goes on a rant about her and Finn's future as a couple, I feel eyes on me.

I look up and my eyes meet Mark's.

Maybe..just maybe..

Mark was my crush..?