The Ghost Bride (Tom x Ghost!Reader)

(Inspired by Constance Hathaway from The Haunted Mansion)

1897

Thomas Holland set down his luggage at the base of the grand staircase of the large, old mansion. He and his father had recently bought the great estate and had just moved in today. Thomas's father; Dominic, was very proud of the mansion he had bought for a low price in 1890's. The place was rumored to have many hauntings and  it was mainly the reason why the mansion was so cheap-- though it still costed an arm and a leg for. 

Dominic was proud not only because of the price and that it was out of the city of London, but because of the story and character it carried. 

The Hathaway Mansion. 

Or as many like to call it, 

The Haunted Mansion. 

Yes, the manor had quite the reputation. Rumored to have nearly nine hundred and ninty-nine ghosts. Adults would always tease the children, saying that there was room for one more and that they could be the next ghost to join the mansion. 

Needless to say, whenever the mansion was on the market, it was overlooked. 

And then the Hollands purchased the estate. They bought the large piece of land after Dominic was given a higher position in his work, deeming him worthy of being able to purchase the great manor. His son, Thomas, seemed to have been less than thrilled. 

"Look at the interior, Thomas.." Dominic traced the railing of the grand, cobwebbed staircase. "Hand crafted and sculpted by great artists of all time." He turned to his son, who looked around the lobby of the mansion, unimpressed. "Come along, Thomas. Surely there must be something that catches your eye here." He walked over and put a hand on his shoulder. "Look, I know things haven't been the same since your mother..." Dominic paused, struggling to find words of his late wife. "Give it time, alright? You'll come around to liking it here. I mean, look around." He gestured to the interior of their new home. "Look at the character, the age and story that this mansion brings." Thomas glanced around the room, studying how every corner seemed to have a cobweb and how the wallpaper looked faded of whatever color it use to be. "This place is over a hundred years old. Many people have come and gone here. And now," Dominic looked to his son, smirking. "We hold the key to it." 

"I just understand why we needed this place." Thomas pulled away from his father, stepping back and looking up towards the staircase. "We were fine living in London. I enjoyed our little apartment just off of Fleet Street." 

"I know, I know. But London has been getting a bit crowded now that the 19th century is nearly upon us. Machines and vehicles are starting to take over. Smog and filthy air filled the skies and you have to admit..." Dominic straightened his coat. "Every time you walked outside or opened a window it was nearly impossible to breathe." 

"But we were still happy living there." 

"And we'll be happy here now." His father gave him a sympathetic look. "Give it time, Thomas. You'll learn to love and appreciate this place." And with that, he grabbed his luggage and started heading towards the lounge area towards the right. Thomas followed, carrying his luggage with him. "Perhaps later on we should invest in a maid or two, this place is quite big after all." Thomas's father chuckled, setting down the suitcase by the fainting couch. 

The room was bright from the outside. The front wall being nearly made of large windows. From the inside, one could see the great vines taking over the glass, only letting slivers of light in. It was so grand that Dominic pondered if he should push the thought of cutting the vines down. He felt as though the overgrowing plant gave the room dimension and highlight.