Chapter Three

"Ah fuck." Toby got up the next morning, legs still straining to hold him up.

"I warned-"

"Yeah i know.  " he grumbled.

Last night Maxwell had to carry Toby to and from the shower and hold him up. He also had to pack on his own while Toby got some rest and kept his legs up.  The process of getting pregnant was both fun and embarrassing to Toby. He liked his time with Maxwell last night but hobbling around was not the best. A van had pulled up infront of their house, vehicles were rarely on the streets except for government officials and delivery crews. The workers helped Maxwell pack up the truck while Toby did what he could. Which was mostly staying out of the way and getting himself into the van.  There wasn't many boxes so it didn't take long to get everything and head over to the new house.

Once there the movers helped get the boxes inside the already furnished living room and went on their way. Carter's last task was carrying Toby inside despite his protest of being able to himself. He carried him to the bed and kissed him lovingly.

____

Toby and Max were getting ready for their date later that night; for some reason Max had them dress well, one in a blazer and the younger in a button up and sweater. Toby thought be looked a bit like a prick in the clothes with his ever messy hair.

"Ready?"

"The wall of fire should be passing by now..." he mumbled.

"Not yet. " he smirked and brought him outside and walked hand in hand to the same building they were in before expect now, a grand event was being held there with hundreds of people.

Toby felt sick to his stomach as he was paraded into the building with his bright red card the center of attention it seemed to him, or the fact that he'd never dressed up in his life often wearing apocalyptic gear. He felt out of place.

Eventually, everyone was either gathered around or sat at a table as one of the councilmen went up to a podium, "tonight, we gather and celebrate our accomplishments and our safety. Without Exum we would be facing the threat of the flare's heat wave, without Exum we would be frightened and many would have become those of the fallen. But we must also remember to honor those who couldn't make it here and who still survive outside the wall. Yesterday we welcomed another one of those people and in the future we hope to let in more and give more of Exum's protection and prosperity. To Exum."

"TO EXUM!"  The crowd cheered and Toby left like he had entered a cult. His anxiety was through the roof but he was going to try and stay calm. 

"Do you want to dance?" Maxwell asked as music started to play

Toby smiled and nodded, taking his hand and letting Alexander guide him through, paying more attention to him and his own feet then the music. It seemed almost perfect and then everyone was rushing outside. Maxwell and him got caught in the mix and ended up on the steps. The sky was bright in the dead of night with reds, oranages, and yellows. People ooed and awed. It was over as quickly as it started and the music was again the main focus. Toby thought about how quickly it was and if he could hanger survived it, how different could his life be from inside the dome. A lot actually, from survival to living from fear to hot meals and showers. He let his anxiety melt away with his thoughts of running and returned to dancing with Max

Spinning around, leaning on him and letting his mind go blank; he wasn't in danger, he didn't have to be on alert, he was completely safe for once. No sandsnake were trying to swallow him, paraworms trying burrow into him, flares to burn him or any venomous thing around. He was well-rested and full from a hot meal. Everyone was alright and yet something was off. Maybe he just didn't like his job assignment or he was regretting going into a place he didn't know anything about. He could learn though.

The doctor from earlier, Adam, came over to the couple and asked to speak to Toby in private. They went to a hallway no one was near and she whispered into his ear.

"You need to leave. I can't say why but you need to trust me. "

"Nothing bad has happened yet. And i don't even know you... you're... you're just trying to scare me. "

"The council...there up to something bringing you in. We haven't had an outsider come in...ever."

Toby walked away rather quickly, going into thr bathroom and splashing some water on his face. He took a deep breathe and suddenly a rag was being held onto his face. He tried to fight but ended up blacking out.

Maxwell looked everywhere for Toby and sat on the steps long after the party was over. Waiting for him to show up. Eventually he had to go home, he'd have to wait until morning to file a missing persons report

Meanwhile Toby was waking up in a lab. He found himself cuffed to a bolted down metal bed in a biohazard plastic room. He started to panic and yank at the chain, "no! No! No!!"

"Oh yes, dear Toby. The little baby that escaped has come running back to us, hm? Your mother fought so hard to get you out and you come right back. Well it turns out, you are exactly what we engineered you to be. Hopefully you are both immune to flares and paraworms as your mother but fertile...she...it was very hard to make you from her DNA and eggs, lack there of. "

"I...you...i don't want to die. Please! "

"Hopefully you won't. But one thing is for certian, you won't get away again."