Chapter Five

Nick had eyes on the security room, as the guard left his post to go to the bathroom, they offered to watch. Waiting for each opportune moment, the cameras were set perfectly for the plan; from the back exit to Toby's cell was replaying a video of basic protocol. They finished just in time for the guard to come back, Nick tipped their head and left for the next part of the plan.

Meanwhile Toby was staring at the ceiling with his hands on his stomach. He thought of all the trouble everyone could get into if this didn't work; even if it did...

He was willing to do whatever it would take to get away from what they were doing with him- what they'd do to his child if they ended up like him. To Dr.Evans he was the next phase in human evolution, radiation immune genderless human brings that the paraworms didn't give a fuck about. Toby just wanted to live a decent life.

The doors to his cell opened and a guard waved there hand for him to come over, "hurry, Toby. Time to go. "

Needless to say, the guard was Nick. Toby immediately got up and followed him to a janitors closet; their Toby got changed into a guards uniform and they headed toward the back exit.

An alarm sounded off, lights went red, and the doors closed before they could reach. Plan A had failed. Plan B couldn't commence until the people outside realized. Alex started running toward Toby's cell as every other guard went after somthing- Toby stayed put and watched as Cameron calmly walked up to him. 

"Little one, you can't expect to escape again. And i will get who helped out of you eventually but until then. Back to your cell." She went to click handcuffs on his wrists but he dodged her hands and trip her with his leg.

Guards that came with cameron rushed at him. He held them off for a while- punching, kicking, and evading  but their numbers and his weakened body overpowered him. He got a swift knock to the head and was dragged back to his cell.

___

When Toby woke up next, he was tied down to a surgical table. He was groggy from drugs but was able to see Cameron clearly enough over him. 

"We were just getting a few samples. Seeing the baby. They're healthy and growing well for a month old blob on a screen. As for who helped you-"

She put a knife to his check and slide it down, Toby locked his jaw in place and tried not to make noise, "i can't kill you but i can certianly make this as painful as possible."

Toby glared at her but didn't say a word as the knife moved to his upper chest. The door bursted open and a guard brought a tablet over. Toby couldn't see the screen but he could hear what the lady broadcasting was saying.

"Video of an outsider persumed to have fled being held prisoner in exum gone viral. Here is councilman John Anders remarks"

"Toby pierce is in captivity for reasons of his own protection. He has a rare genetic mutation that makes him immune to radiation. As you all know, prolonged exposure to the air outside of Exum would eventually lead to the elimination of the human race. Just as we all have our jobs, he-"

Cameron smirked and turned off the tablet she'd been given, "let's continue shall we?"

The next few hours were filled with literal torture, but Toby didn't break. He was cleaned up and returned to his cell. Toby decided that he had to trust that Max had a plan, that there was something more to Plan B then just a viral video in hopes to outrage the citizens.

It was almost a month until Alex came to his cell with information about protests happening outside, one on the steps of the building today with about a hundred people. The alarms went off again and Nick rushed back to his post leaving Toby curious and franky afraid at what was going tti happen next. After all, he was being tortured and held captive.

Cameron came and opened the cell door, "you're being transfered. Come with me. "

Toby followed her to a room where Adam, Maxwell, and the councilwoman from before were sitting at a round table.

"Toby!" Maxwell stood up and hushed over to hug him.  He didn't care that this was a serious meeting at that moment only that Toby was in front of him and in one piece. Toby sank into his arms, for the first time in a month feeling safe again.

"Gentlemen. " the council woman, Avery Hartman, said impatiently.

The two sat down along with Cameron at the table and Avery began, "I see you no longer what to be a part of Exum with almost half of the population backing you up, many of which are on our steps still protesting as we speak. I'll give you two choices:  you all co-operate and we will let Toby live in public or we send anyone who wants to go outside to near certian death in the paraworm dessert to test our new vaccine against them. "

"Can we have a moment to discuss alone?"

"Absolutely." The councilwoman stood  and left, taking Cameron out the room with them.  A moment later she opened the door with Nick there, "He asked to be in the room with his husband. I figure he'd be included in option 2?"

Adam nodded and Nick came in.  The door closed one more. After Filling Nick in on their dilemma they began to discuss their course of action. Would they attempt to trust Exum once again with new rules or would they try their best to survive in the dessert as guinea pigs? Questions arose like: Would Cameron still be in the picture with option one? Where would they go if the picked option 2? Could they trust Exum that they would actually get a vaccine and they wouldn't just use this to kill them off?"

(Ask questions and leave your option choice in the comments. You can also leave questions for characters in the comments and I'll reply as them)