chapter seven

It was all such a blur. We were packed, had Bailey boarded, and on a plane before the sun went down that day. Spending most of the day rolling around in bed and making plans for the honeymoon we never went on, we had little time to worry about work. I pitched my short absence to Graham as a writing experience. Thank God the setting for my novel was in Éze, a small town in the French Riviera; it saved my ass with the boss when convincing him I was wasn't ditching out on my work.

I wasn't, really—I promised Carter I'd only go if he gave me a few hours each morning and evening to write, which he happily obliged to. We sat next to a middle-aged couple on the plane who were renewing their vows on their vacation getaway. Their kids had all gone off to college and they finally were alone again, and clearly keeping the romance alive. I gazed at Carter every now and again, excited to do the same things with him one day.

When the wheels touched down at Paris Charles de Gaulle, Mimi and Glenn were swept into the crowd, overly excited to get into the bustling city. Carter held my hand as we navigated the airport, getting lost a few times. Charles de Gaulle was gigantic; full of people going all over the world. I situated my wide-brim hat, letting my hair fall in waves cascading down my back. I had been putting off a haircut for weeks, but it seemed like every other woman I saw had longer hair, leaving me not feeling so guilty about my procrastination.

The mid-seventies breeze did just enough to keep me cool, although I was hot with excitement. Paris was beautiful and full of interesting people, and all I wanted to do was explore it. I had the idea to stay in the heart of the city, but Carter had already made other plans; another surprise. A taxi driver led us further from the craziness of the city into a much calmer, quieter, secluded area. The hills rolled, accented with beautiful flowers and trees floating in the breeze.

We came upon a smaller town, a suburb a little further from the city. It was peaceful, filled with magnificent homes, and it was unbelievably romantic. After three windy turns, we came upon a long driveway, leading to a quaint French country home. It was covered in vines, with a balcony hooding over the exquisite front door. Carter paid our cab driver, thanked him in French, and helped me out of the car. Our luggage was situated, and the taxi driver gone. All we could do now was marvel at the perfect home in front of us.

"H—how did you find this place?" I wondered, staring in awe. The first question didn't matter near as much as the second, snapping me back into reality. "How in the Sam hell did you afford this?"

He laughed, holding me from behind, planting a kiss on my shoulder. "Baby, after my shoe deal, we can afford vacation homes like this one!" He picked me up, swinging me in a circle. I giggled as he sat me back down on my feet. Tucking a hair behind my ear, he kissed me tenderly. "Stop worrying, Chlo. None of that this week, ok? Just you and me."

I nodded. "You and me." I grinned, letting him whisk me into the beautiful home. He punched four numbers into the lockbox, pulled out the key to unlock the door, and carried me through the threshold, leaving our bags on the floor of the foyer.

"Where's the master bedroom?" I smiled wickedly, whispering in his ear. He led me up the stairs slowly. I marveled at him; how he took his time with me, how he planned out this entire trip in the best way he could, how he made me feel even after years of being together. The seven-year-itch would have nothing on us, especially with it around the corner in just a few months.

With my foot, I kicked open the first door I saw; closet. I repeated the same routine, finding the bathroom, another closet, a small bedroom, and finally, the master. The door fell open, revealing a perfectly put-together room, with an even more perfect bed. The traditional bed was timeworn, but intricate in detail...and comfort, I thought, as Carter laid me down carefully onto the mattress.