chapter thirteen

In the days before Carter returned from his training, I must have rehearsed my story a hundred times over in our bathroom mirror. I bought tons of healthy foods at the store and did everything I could to avoid the baby section of the market. I went to the farmer's market to buy fresh produce and essential oil candles. With Carter's return in just sixteen more hours, I was cramming in as much busy work as I could.

Friday morning awaited me with a conference with my publisher and another session with Cole. I brought in my own decaf coffee that day, so he wasn't tempted to tease me with another. I put on my bravest face before heading into the conference room where he waited for me.

"Good morning, Mr. Baker."

His face lit, and he scrambled up from his seat to stand and pull out my chair. I tried to not look disgusted, faking my best smile. "Good morning, Mrs. James. You look lovely."

I smoothed out my slacks and blouse, throwing my purse on the glass table. "Let's get down to work, shall we?"

He hadn't taken any of my suggestions, unsurprisingly. I did my best to remain cool, making new suggestions instead. He was still being secretive about the plot twist of his story, and as many times that I reminded him to give me more details, he twisted the conversation to a different direction.

"If you don't want to give me the full details of your story, then give them to Graham. But with this being your first book, trust me; you're going to want an editor looking over your work."

He nodded slowly, as if it were calculated. His jaw flitted under his skin and his rubbed his chin. "So, I should tell everything to Graham and ask him for advice, just like you do with Heidi?"

I blinked. I feared that somehow, someway, he knew that I went straight to Heidi's office and had known what I'd said. My heart began working on overdrive, and I clutched my lower abdomen. Slowly, I swiveled my head over to him, and the look on his face was almost terrifying. I felt frozen in time, unable to move or breathe or react in any way.

He scooted his chair closer to me, leaning down until he was almost whispering directly into my ear. "Does your husband know?"

I whimpered almost, feeling the heat from his breath in my bones. I felt anything but safe. Knowing I wasn't getting out of this position with an answer, I slowly shook my head. I wouldn't cry, I forced myself not to; I wouldn't let this prick break me or see me afraid.

Without saying anything, he got up from his chair, grabbed my edits, and left. I have no idea where he went—maybe to Graham's office, but I didn't care all that much. I thought to go to Heidi's office, but I was worried that somehow, he would know. With nothing else on my agenda today, I decided to go home. I rushed through so quickly that I didn't even get a chance to see Ramone or Gerard the doorman, but I didn't care. Home, waiting for Carter, was the only place I wanted to be.

I raced to the car as if I were being chased. I got stares, but I didn't care. Once I got into my car, I checked the backseat, locked the doors, and started the car with a remarkable speed. At a stoplight, I texted Heidi.

You're right. We need to go after him. He needs to leave.

I got an immediate response.

Already on it. Worry about U. ILY

Heidi knew better than to expect me to sit back and not do a thing, so I decided that once I told Carter everything, I would dig into Cole's past.