chapter seventeen

"Hello? Mom?"

"Chloe, where are you right now?" Mom's voice was serious and concerned, so unlike her usual manner. I glanced at my surroundings, the small suburban neighborhood offering only a handful of places to have privacy.

"I'm outside the city with Carter. What's going on?"

"I don't know how to tell you this, Chloe, but Warren was set to be released today, as you know, but he had an altercation with a visitor. His release has been delayed."

"What?!" I spat. I looked to Carter as he started up the truck, putting my mom on speaker.

"I don't know. It's all rumors now, but apparently, he attacked a visitor yesterday. It ruined his chances of getting released."

"Who the hell would do that?"

"I'm not sure, honey. But for now, you're safe of him."

I wasn't sure if I should feel relieved or concerned. I had so many questions, but I decided it would be better not to think about them. I needed to go about life normally; doctor's appointments, morning walks with Bailey, and focusing on getting my book on the shelves.

Carter consoled me as we drove, the engine purring beneath us just when my phone rang again.

"Hey, Graham."

"Chloe?" his voice was thick with concern. What now?

"What is it, Graham? Is it my book?"

"Um, no, darlin'. It's Cole Baker." I waited for him to speak. "We fast-tracked the editing of his book, because you weren't the only female to complain about him. Heidi, Ashley, and a handful of other women at the publishing house felt like they were being sexually harassed and-or badgered by him. We signed a contract with him, so we wrapped up editing in the last three weeks, and then released his book in stores today."

My breath couldn't catch up. I had never heard of such a thing. How was it possible? Carter squeezed my hand while he drove. I covered the speaker, asking him to stop at Barnes and Noble on the way back to the apartment.

"Okay." I breathed, trying to remain calm.

"But... early this morning I got a call that he was arrested, but he fled."

"What?!" I shrieked. Carter fidgeted. I covered the speaker again to explain, but just put the phone on speaker mode again. "What else do you know? Where is he?"

"That's all I know, Chloe. I don't know what happened or where he is now, but I thought you and all the other women who complained about him should know."

I breathed deeply through my nose and out through my mouth, just like Doctor Ahmad suggested in order to relieve my stress. After I hung up with Graham, Carter talked me down until I could think rationally.

"Don't you think that's a little... weird?" Carter mentioned, pulling into the bookstore. "Warren can't get released from jail and on the same day Cole is magically gone from our lives? It's like you have an angel looking out for you." He squeezed my hand as we walked into Barnes and Noble.

"Maybe," I hoped, although it didn't seem likely. "Should we also get some baby books while we're in here?"

His eyes lit up. "Of course."