Chapter 5: Home Away From Home

Bruce: Uh, well, you can feel free to make it a little more...homey.

You and Kamala followed Bruce into the room where the ship's staff used to sleep back when the ship had a, you know, staff. Looked more like a storage room, really.

The beds were covered by red curtains for privacy and there were about 5 of them in there. Boxes were thrown on the floor randomly and there was still dust floating everywhere.

Kamala: Um...thanks.

Kamala walked past Bruce and sat down on the bench that was connected to a table. Bruce looked at you and you just shrugged. She had been like this since you left the AIM base.

Bruce: You good? I'm not used to you...being this quiet.

Kamala: Uh, yeah. It's nothing.

Bruce just stood there for a moment while Kamala looked at the ground. She looked like she was thinking hard about something.

Bruce: Ok....ok. Good, so...yeah.

Bruce awkwardly turned to leave as you watched him from your spot on the wall. He had one foot out the door before Kamala spoke up.

Kamala: What if it's real?

Bruce stopped and walked backwards into the room.

Bruce: Wha, sorry, what was that?

Kamala: The cure...

Kamala stood up while you stayed leaning against the doorframe.

Kamala: What if it's real? I mean, I mean it looks real, but what if I can be normal again?

Bruce: Um. It ah...It doesn't work like that.

Y/N: Not even close.

Kamala looked at the two of you confused.

Kamala: I mean you saw them. It looks like it really hurts, but...but maybe it's worth it?

Y/N: You really believe that?

Kamala just shrugged.

Kamala: I never really fit in before. I mean uh, Superheroes were my world, and I figured if I could just, uh, if I could just win that fanfiction competition, you know, then everything would just be....

She just shook her head.

Kamala: Doesn't matter. Now look at me. I'm a freak.

Bruce: Whoa, you're not a fre..

You pushed yourself off the doorframe when you saw that Kamala was now crying.

Y/N: What you did back there...Hey!

You walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder so that she would look at you.

Y/N: What you did back there, took a lot of guts. I mean look at everything you've done in the last two days. I mean, it's stupid, but it still took guts.

Bruce: And, not a lot of people could, you know, do that.

Kamala looked at you before she looked to the side.

Kamala: Good isn't a thing you are.

Bruce: What?

Kamala shook her head as you withdrew your hand.

Kamala: It's nothing, um, thank you. This room is really great.

Bruce: Okay.

Kamala: Or it will be, I mean...

Bruce: Okay. Yeah, hehe, it's kind of a, um...good.

Bruce gave a thumbs up as he turned to leave again.