Chapter 5 - First Day Shenanigans

Y/Ns POV

The next morning, I woke in my bed to find that I was the only person awake, well besides Gracie.

It's 6 o'clock in the morning, that is probably why.

Breakfast was supposed to start at 9am so I tried to go back to sleep but it was no use. So I got out of my bed and put on my robes, which now resembled the Gryffindor house crest rather than the Hogwarts crest which was originally there.

I scooped up Gracie from off of my bed and brought her down to the common room in my arms.

I also brought down my Transfiguration book as it would be the first class for today. I already read the book once, but I decided to read up on it again with Gracie resting on my lap.

The Gryffindor common room had this sense of warmth and comfort. There was a very cozy feel about the room that wasn't just coming from the fireplace in front of me.

I didn't notice how much I was into my reading until I heard,

"Y/N?"

I turned around to see the familiar face of my best friend Hermione Granger, she must have just woken up and was fixing her hair. She sat down next to me and asked, "what are you doing up so early?"

"Good morning, Mione!" I said with a smile. None of us even mentioned the use of the nickname I just gave her.

"I couldn't sleep so I came down, and started reading up on the first class today, what about you?" I asked.

"I felt a bit homesick" Hermione replied in a shy tone.

"Oh, do you want to talk about it?" I asked.

"I kind of miss my mum and dad." She replied in a very sad tone, almost like she was embarrassed by the statement.

I went to give her a side hug, which she surprisingly accepted as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Listen" I said "I know how you feel, it's a new place with a lot of new things we are going to experience, it's both scary and exciting at the same time" I said sincerely.

"But you have me, as well as everyone else in our house that are here for you. So don't hesitate to talk to me about anything ok?" I whispered

"She then turned to me and gave me a smile.

"Thank you Y/N" she whispered.

After that talk she noticed Gracie laying down on my lap and her face filled with happiness.

Wow, she looks really cute when she's happy.

"Aww is that your kitten?" She asked me.

"Yep, this is Gracie. My uncle bought her for me as an early birthday present." I said as I stroked her fur.