Chapter 12

Saturday morning

I wake up extra early. I don't think I've actually slept at all. I shower, brush my teeth, dry my hair, put on mascara. My hair is mostly straight with a slight wave to it. I find myself worried about my plain look. I never worry about that kind of stuff. I really never have cared. I decide to just stick with what I know. Distressed skinny jeans and 'friends' inspired crop top.

"You seem nervous this morning." I hear Rebecca behind me yawning and I can feel her curious eyes trying to figure me out.

"No, Not nervous, um..." Stuttering trying to get the words out.

"Spill it." She says while crossing her arms.

I know she isn't going to let this go so I just very casually tell her, "I'm hanging out with Adam today."

"WHHHHHHATTTTT?" She half screams with a surprised look on her face. Yeah I get it a guy like him and a hot mess like me doesn't add up.

"Calm down just as friends" I say to her annoyed

She lets out a deep laugh. "Friends my ass. I've seen the way he looks at you. I mean I'm totally jealous." She clasps her hands together as she bounces "but I'm so happy for you!"

I can't help but to smile at my roommate. She really is too kind to me and I give her nothing in return but I just can't. I've built these walls up around me so high that I can't even see over them.

I shake my head out of my thoughts

"Um here, I made something for you." She says walking to her closest. And I can't help but be nervous thinking please God not a dress.

She turns back toward me holding something up. I can't believe what I'm looking at. It's a black tee with beautiful stitching of the moon and stars. A little bit of white trim on the collar and short sleeves. It's me. It's something I would wear. Why would she make me something like this? It's definitely not her style. It's my style and how could she possibly know that about me. I know nothing about her.

"If you hate it, I can take it, seriously I'm going into the fashion industry." I can tell she's lying by those fidgety fingers.

I can't help but smile and before I know it I'm taking off my shirt to put this one on that she made just for me. And it fits just how I'd want it to fit. Not too tight and not too baggy. Before I know what's happening she's throwing her arms around me for a hug. When is the last time I've hugged someone?

We break away and all I can say is "thank you." I should say more but I can't.

All I'm feeling now is guilt, I can see Bethany's faint image shaking her head at me is disgust.

"Well I better go downstairs to meet Adam." I say to her without really making eye contact. I turn and walk towards the door. As soon as I reach the handle I turn back toward her. She's still fidgeting with her fingers. 

"Rebecca, thank you. Really. It's beautiful." Her cheeks flush and she says "hurry up go get that hottie." She winks at the word hottie. I can't help but to laugh and roll my eyes as I walk out the door.

I love this little moment between Rebecca and Kami