Chapter 18- Understanding

Christine felt as though she were living a nightmare. She couldn't believe what she'd just heard Erik say… 'You are not going anywhere.' Why would he say that? Did he not know he was scaring her? She looked at him. He was sitting there just staring at her. It was incredibly creepy. "Um," she stuttered, shifting slightly under his intense stare. "What did you say?" Maybe I misheard him?..

Erik smirked and crossed his arms while viewing the look of disbelief on her face. "My dear, you heard me correctly. You are not going anywhere," he repeated.

And that was all he said. Christine's brow furrowed. "But why?" she questioned. What the hell is he thinking?

He thought about that for a few moments. Of course he knew exactly why, but how could he explain his reasoning to her? He had to start somewhere.. "Christine, you are always on my mind," he began softly.

She blinked, confused. It sounded like he was about to tell some sort of long story or something. She continued to stand by the door, her body tense.

"You plague me," Erik continued honestly. "I cannot get you out of my head. It began the very moment I first saw you, when you fell into my office." He chuckled at the memory. "Yes, it was like I had been given a gift, of sorts." His voice became distant momentarily, but his attention abruptly returned to her. "Do you know that I, at first, thought you were an angel? I believed you to be an angel taking on human form. I had begun to truly believe in a Higher Power. Of course, I soon realized that you were not an angel. You are a human girl. And yet.." He paused. "You are still my angel." His eyes seemed to sparkle as he stared at her in awe.

Christine was feeling a familiar sort of suffocation that she only ever felt when Erik was around. Why did he have to be so serious? Why did he have to treat her like she was the only important person on earth? She couldn't bring herself to speak. It was obvious that he wasn't finished yet.

"And when I learned that you and I share a love for music-. Well, I became even more enamored." He regarded her proudly. "You are rare indeed, do you know that?" It looked as though she didn't. "And modest, too."

She could only stand still and watch him.

Erik's eyes turned angry. "When I saw that criminal attack you…" His eyes then turned sad. "Oh Christine, if I had lost you…"

That's right, he saved me from that robber. But that remembrance was no reason to let down her guard. That knowledge actually had the power to make everything worse… he'd killed a man that night. Right now, however, the fact that was presiding over everything else was that he was keeping her locked in his office unwillingly. Yet, she still didn't speak. Christine found she wanted him to get everything out. She wanted to know the truth of it all. She was sick of feeling so confused all the time.

"But I did not lose you. You lived, and your existence continues to control me. Does that comfort you?" He studied her expression. "Or does that confuse you, my darling Christine?" Erik didn't wait for an answer. "And then you sang for me. The moment I heard your voice was the moment I fully understood." Another mood swing took place. A moment ago, a joyful look was on his face. Now, his brow was furrowed agitatedly underneath the mask. "But you do not understand, do you, Christine?" Without giving her time to speak, he said, "No, no you do not. Perhaps Erik should reveal his feelings…" His voice had become distant once more.

One of Christine's eyebrows rose. What is he doing? Referring to himself in third person? She didn't have time to think on it further.

"I care for you, Christine." Erik gazed at her. "I care for you deeply."