VI - The First Quidditch Match

As they entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy gray and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots.

The Quidditch season had begun. On Saturday, Persephone and Harry would be playing in their first match after weeks of training: Gryffindor versus Slytherin. If Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the House Championship.

Hardly anyone had seen Harry and Persephone play because Wood had decided that, as their secret weapon, they should be kept, well, secret. But the news that they were playing Seeker and Chaser had leaked out somehow, and Harry didn't know which was worse — people telling them they'd be brilliant or people telling them they'd be running around underneath them holding a mattress. On the other hand, Persephone didn't care about what others had to say about them, but seeing Harry's bothered expression and being the supportive friend she was, she often replied that as a beginner, she would be justified if she accidentally threw the Quaffle directly against their useless heads.

The day before Harry's and Persephone's first Quidditch match the four of them were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and Hermione had conjured them up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar. They were standing with their backs to it, getting warm, when Snape crossed the yard. Persephone noticed at once that Snape was limping. Persephone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione moved closer together to block the fire from view; they were sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about their guilty faces caught Snape's eye. He limped over. He hadn't seen the fire, but he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell them off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," said Snape. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"That's not true and you know it" Persephone said to him coldly.

Snape glared at her, but didn't say anything before turning away.

"He's just made that rule up," Harry muttered angrily as Snape limped away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," said Ron bitterly.

The Gryffindor common room was very noisy that evening. Persephone, Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. She would never let them copy ("How will you learn?"), but by asking her to read it through, they got the right answers anyway. 'Cheaters' Persephone mouthed amused.

Harry wanted Quidditch Through the Ages back, to take his mind off his nerves about tomorrow. Harry announced he would go asking it back from Snape.

"Better you than me," Ron and Hermione said together. Harry had an idea that Snape wouldn't refuse if there were other teachers listening, so he planned to ask him by the staffroom. Persephone would've gone with him but she was in one of her lazy moment — she barely had the force to look up at him let alone getting up. Moreover, she didn't really feel the need to go with him, because although Snape hated Harry, Persephone knew that he would never harm him.

It wasn't long until Harry came back to the Common Room.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined them. "What's the matter?"

In a low whisper, Harry told them what he'd seen.

"You know what this means?" he finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him — he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"