Messy Game of Telephone

So far, it had been a completely average day. So far, literally nothing of interest had happened. Of course, though, that wasn't really fair. Nothing had really happened today, because the day technically hadn't started.

Breakfast was at 10 am, and Veronica wasn't really sure what time it was, but not 10, apparently. At first, that had been too much of a weird thing for Veronica, who, ever since school started, ate her breakfast at 7. So for the first couple weeks, Veronica arrived to breakfast starving. It probably would have been fine, if breakfast was more than one measly cup of cereal.

Veronica had gotten used to it at this point, finally.

Right now, Veronica was doing what she always did at this time, whatever it was. Waiting for breakfast silently. Alice was too. They didn't have a lot to talk about these days.

But Alice had actually been correct. Today was going to be interesting. Or, if by interesting you meant straight out of a horror movie. And it all began with a sudden, unexpected visit.

"Veronica! Veronica!"

Veronica jolted up, the words so surprising that she was certain she had made them up at first. But as Jenna's face suddenly appeared in the door, Veronica forgot all about that. There was something in Jenna's expression...

Jenna didn't waste any time on greeting. "I found it!" Jenna immediately blurted out. Veronica barely understood it because of how out of breath Jenna was, but she got just enough to ask questions.

"What?" Veronica cried. "Jenna, what are you talking about? What's going on?"

Jenna opened her mouth to respond, but she was immidately cut off.

"Hey, you! Kid! What the hell are you doing?!"

Veronica's blood ran cold with realization. Jenna wasn't supposed to be here. They were going to take her away. No! They couldn't! Couldn't they see how important this was?!

"Jenna, tell me what's going on!" Veronica demanded quickly. The officer, whoever it was, was fast approaching. "Hurry!"

"I found the person we've been looking for, Veronica!" Jenna cried, thankfully heeding her request. "I found the murderer!"

Everyone in the building seemed to freeze. Including the officer, Veronica realised. She couldn't hear her loud footsteps stomping down anymore.

Nobody did anything for about twenty seconds. And then-

"You what?!" the officer growled.

"You solved it?!" Alice asked.

"Who?!" Veronica yelled. "Who is it? Turn them in!"

Everyone became silent once again, waiting for Jenna's answer. Perhaps Jenna knew of her audience, because she suddenly seemed apprehensive.

"It's...," Jenna seemed to hesitate, and Veronica groaned. They didn't have time for that!

"Who?" Veronica urged once again. "What's their name?!"

"Yeah, kid, tell us what you found out," the cop encouraged. Even she seemed to be supportive now.

But still, Jenna fidgeted nervously, and didn't say anything. Veronica, if she was in Jenna's place, might see why, and maybe then she would understand why Jenna was nervous.

But Veronica wasn't in Jenna's place, she was behind bars, waiting for her chance of salvation to finally drop. Yet Jenna still refused.

Veronica was losing her patience.

"Come on, Jenna, tell us already!" Veronica cried.

And at the exact same time, Jenna said: "Carrie White."

The entire police station seemed to pause. It was only have a couple seconds that Veronica could say anything.

"...Who?"