Chapter Two

The next few weeks pass by in a flurry of homework, quizzes, lunches with Owen, and recesses with my friends.

It turns out, on that first day of school, my friends weren't at Lunch because they were in Art club. That's what they do at Lunch now. Become "aspiring artists" or whatever. I would join them, but my art skills are no good.

So instead, I stay with Owen at Lunch. He's fun. But it's not like we hang out together in class or at recess or after school. Because we don't. But it's still nice to know that I have a sort of friend in my class.

I've also learned that Mrs. Perashi is REALLY sarcastic. And I absolutely love it. Sarcasm is kind of my second language.

"Earth to Talia."

I startle and frown in embarrassment when I realize that I haven't been paying attention. But really, how are we supposed to pay attention to a lecture about percussion instruments I haven't even heard of before?

I'm in Music class with our Music teacher, Madame Fletch. She's an impressive figure, with her high heeled leather boots, and blood red tips of hair. She looks more like she should be riding a motorcycle, not teaching a class of seventh graders about the Schlagwerk Percussion instruments.      

She's also very intimidating.

"Sorry Madame Fletcher." I peep weakly.

She glares at me, then resumes her lesson.

I hear giggles behind me, which bothers me more than it should. My classmates usually stay out of their way to not bother or tease me, because I can be intimidating at times as well.

Like once, in fourth grade, a girl whose name I forget asked me to be her partner. Now before I say how I replied, just remember how much I STRESS to keep my grades up. And this was not a very smart girl. Sure, she was nice, but not smart. So I think my reaction was almost appropriate.

"No way!" I had cried out, louder than I knew. "I want to do this with someone SMART."

So that was the last time someone other than my friends asked me to be their partner. I didn't really mind. I'd rather be with my friends anyways.

There were a couple of other incidents, where I may have seemed mean as well, but I'd prefer not to share those ones.

Anyways, I stare straight at the teacher for the rest of the class, since I'm already worried about my marks with her. She's the only teacher new to the school that I have this year, so she doesn't know what a good student I am yet.

I breathe out in relief when I exit the classroom. That woman is NOT fit to be a teacher if she still can't see how hard I try in class.

I head to the cafeteria, order my food, and head to the same table in the back corner.

Owen and I talk, but I'm already looking forward to recess.

So when the bell rings, I grab my tray, dump the rest of my food in the garbage and sprint out of there as fast as possible. I might have hurt his feelings a little, but I'll deal with that later.

I go to our meeting place, the rocks near the playground. But they're not there. My heart beats a little harder, afraid that I'm about to have a repeat of Lunch on the first day of school. But then I see them at the sandpit, and I grin.   

I slide into place next to Nicole.

"What are you guys doing here?" I demand, a little annoyed.

Ava shrugs.

"Tiegan thought we should try something new."

For the first time since I arrived, I notice the girl sitting next to us. Her orange hair is pulled back into a low ponytail, and her freckles are prominent across the bridge of her nose. She has really bushy eyebrows, though. So, not the best looking.