Chapter Six

"No, Dad!" I groan. "I do NOT want to go shopping with you! No way, no how!"

    "Are you suuuure?"

    He gives me such a sad look that I almost say: "Fine, you can come." That's how incredibly manipulative he is.

    "Yes, I'm sure. Goodbye."

    I slam the door behind me, though it doesn't have the effect I hoped for, since I'm giggling a bit too much for it to come off as angry.

    But still, I just can't take my Dad with me dress shopping! What if a classmate saw me? Then I might die of humiliation.

Besides, I'm getting a ride from Nicole and her Mom.

When the car pulls up to the driveway, I notice that Nicole's late. At least one thing in my life is the same.

"Hello." I greet, stepping into the car.

"Hi." Nicole smiles.

For the rest of the car ride to the mall, we're both pretty quiet. I think there's some unspoken rule that you don't talk about things like school dances or clothes when parents are near.

Nicole's mom is perfectly friendly, but I'm still relieved when she drops us off.
We wave to her as she drives away, then turn to each other.

"So where to first?" I ask, rubbing my hands in anticipation.

I'm not really a person that likes to shop, but there are certain types of shopping that I really like.

My favourite type of shopping is back-to-school shopping. It's just so fun picking out all those school supplies! Although I frequently spend more money than I should on those shopping trips.

My second favourite type of shopping is clothes shopping, but only when it's clothes for ME. I have a certain checklist when it comes to the clothes I buy. They have to be comfortable, mature, (No cheesy phrases or childish pictures), and they have to be a good colour. (Unacceptable colours include: Neon shades, orange, yellow, etc.)

"How should I know?" Nicole laughs. "It's not like I'm some expert shopper."

"How about we start at Old Navy or something?" I suggest.

"For a party dress?" Nicole wrinkles her nose.

"Fine, you choose then." I grunt, a little miffed that she said she was 'no expert shopper', but then she has all these opinions.

"Let's go there." She points to a dress store that I've never even set foot in before.

"Sure."

I follow her into the store, which has a certain perfume-like smell. But other than the smell, I'm impressed.

The dresses are prettier than I would have expected. And cheaper too, which is good, since Dad didn't give me very much money.

And all the people working inside look very, well, chic.

Nicole and I walk to different sections of the store, since we have very different tastes when it comes to dresses.

Within five minutes, Nicole has already selected a turquoise dress that's a bit too long for me, but it's okay for her, since she's taller.

Meanwhile, I'm still considering six different dresses.

"Do that one." Nicole tells me, coming over.

She's pointing to one of the dresses that I thought was really nice. But somehow, her telling me to choose it makes it seem like...less.

"Maybe." I say, but I've already vetoed it in my mind.