Chapter Four

This is the longest I've ever gone without Nicole. Three days and one morning. It's very difficult.
But today is Ava's birthday. So I'm thinking maybe I can pardon Nicole for her crimes.

Her first crime was lying to me about the Halloween party. Her second crime was actually going to my house after that, not even considering that I might be there!

At first, I was mad at ALL my friends. But then I realized Lillian and Ava didn't lie to me. It was Nicole who did. All they did was go to a party. So I'm not mad at them.

Lillian's on my side, though that doesn't mean much. All she does is aim a disapproving huff at Nicole every once in a while.

It would be much more useful to have Ava on my side. She would give Nicole the silent treatment and wouldn't even hang out with her like Lillian does.
Unfortunately, Ava has decided to ignore the fact that two of her best friends are fighting. So she's on neither side.

But I'm too nice to fight with Nicole on Ava's birthday. That would just be downright selfish of us.

So I pick up the phone the morning of her birthday and dial Nicole's phone number.

"I thought you were ignoring me."

It's like she doesn't want to be forgiven.

"I was. Now I'm not."

"And why is that?" Nicole demands.

"Because I'm the kindest being on Earth."

"Hmmm...but that doesn't make sense. I'M the kindest being on Earth."

I don't even try to hide my laugh.

"Well, I'm the kindest being in the universe."

"Yeah, right."

A pause.

"Am I forgiven?" Nicole asks quietly.

"I'd say no, but I can't, since I'm the kindest being in the universe."

"I don't think so. See you at school?"

"See you at school."

Who knew such a short phone call could be so calming?

I tell Ava happy birthday when I get to school and she reminds us about her home party she's having after school. We tell her we'll be there and then head our separate ways.

The school day is so much easier and less stressful now that I'm no longer fighting with Nicole. Math is a breeze. French is facile. (French for 'easy'.) English is relaxing. Art is fun. Science is interesting. Health was fascinating.

Yes, even Health. The one subject where I'm in danger of dozing off. Music may be dull at times, but Health is worse. And sometimes awkward.

Anyways, it was a pretty good day. And it gets even better when I walk with Ava and Nicole down the hallway and see a poster advertising the Winter dance.

"It's not even Winter yet." Ava scoffs.

Me and Nicole's reactions are a bit different.

"A dance!" I exclaim excitedly. "An actual dance!"

"Do you think anyone will ask me to go with them?" Nicole swoons. "Maybe Brennon?"

"I think dances are the last thing on his mind."

I silently agree with Ava, but I don't say it out loud, since Nicole looks a bit crestfallen when she hears that.

"Maybe you could ask him?" I suggest.