Chapter Ten - Wedding Planning

"I'm sorry Abhi but I really can't come. I promise I'll come with you next time but today I can't. I'm sorry again. Bye." I said, cutting the call. It was my work partner, Abhinav, who I called Abhi for short. I was supposed to go with him to some house to plan a wedding but my mom wasn't feeling well so I couldn't just leave her. My phone's alarm started to ring. It's time for her medicines. I went to the cabinet, getting some pressure tablets and filled a glass of water. I took them to my mom's room where she was sleeping.

"Ami." I woke her up slowly.

"Hmm."

I gave her the tablets and she gulped them down with the water. I took away the glass. It hurt me so much to see my mom like this. She was so happy until a few weeks ago. My brother recently was put into jail. Since hearing that, my mom cried herself to sleep nearly every night. Her blood pressure had gotten high and now she had to take medicines every day.

The next day, I went to visit my brother in jail.

"Aapko nam kya hai?" The man at the police desk asked me after I told him who I wanted to see.

"Gauri Kapoor." I answered shortly.

"Aapke paas koi ID hai?" He asked. Without answering, I showed him my ID card, and he gave me a nod. The guard took me to a police room which had a chair and a glass window which faced the next room. I sat down. A few minutes later, my brother came in, looking all ragged. His beard was unshaven and he had a small cut on his lip. He sat down on the chair and smiled at me.

"Gauri. How are you?" He grinned.

"I'm fine but what about you? How did you get the cut?" I asked, gulping to hold myself from the tear from rolling off.

"Voh. Kuch nahi. The day they brought me here, one of the jerks that got me arrested punched me in the face." He said with a look on anger on his face.

"Bhaiya, you told me last time you would tell me why you got arrested. I can't even explain to Ami about what had happend." I complained.

"And you told me you would bring Ami the next time you come. So where is she?"

"She doesn't want to come. She thinks it's your fault, whatever happend." I answered, looking to the floor. Bhaiya banged his fist against the table.

"It wasn't my fault." He answered quietly.

"Ashish bhaiya. Please tell me clearly. Kya hua?" I asked.

"It was Preeti."

"What? You mean bhabi? She loves you. What did she do?" I asked confused. Ashish bhaiya had shown me a picture of Preeti before. We had never met but from what I heard, she was a really nice girl who loved my brother a lot.

"One day she got really angry at me and however many times I tried to convince her to come back to me, she would avoid me. Then her brother got me arrested by police for no reason at all!" He shouted at the end.

"Calm down bhaiya. Her brother?" I asked, confused.

"Her brother. Rahul Sharma. He is responsible for this. Gauri. Meri choti behen. Please help me." Ashish bhaiya started to plead.

"Bhaiya, of course I'll help you. Whatever you say, I'll do it." I looked at him. This is what had happened to him because of these people. I'll do anything.

"Just make them suffer. The way they're making me suffer." A tear dropped off Ashish bhaiya's eye.

"Bhaiya please don't cry. I will. Don't you worry." I said, standing up.

"I'll come back in a few days if I can. And I'll try and bring Ami. Her health isn't well."

"Theek hai. Take care of Ami. Take care of yourself. Bye Gauri."