Chapter 4

4       

❖❖❖

October 1518 – March 1519
Greenwich Palace
London

❖❖❖

It has been over a year since I discovered Bessie Blount's new position as my husband's mistress. I would like to say that I have gotten used to it but, in reality, I have only gotten better at hiding my hurt. I should be grateful at least that Henry does not flaunt it like some other men do, like other kings do.

They are rarely seen together, certainly never in the palace or anywhere near me. Bessie still has the manners to bow to me when I pass, in fact, she bows even lower than before and keeps her face to the ground. And this is not official. Henry has not made her his official mistress. So, in harsh fact, she is really nothing of any importance to him or anyone else. My husband has enough respect for me never to take an official mistress.

The past year has been a whirlwind. I returned to court with Mary and my ladies after the sweating sickness had abated in early Autumn, though I had half a mind to leave Bessie Blount behind. As per my promise, I have made an extended effort since then to help the poor people of London to recover from this pestilence. I often now take mass in a public church instead of my private chapel, giving out food and coins to the poor and needy afterwards, and blessing those who wish me to do so. Henry will not partake in this with me, though I have described to him many times how much of a difference my presence makes to these people. They see a queen they trust, a queen who cares greatly for them, a queen who will bless each and every one of them at their request.

Though I do not say this to my husband, the people are beginning to see a king who, influenced by the greedy Cardinal Wolsey, cares more for money and wealth than the wellbeing of his own people. Henry is a good king, but he is not always the king I thought he would be. He is being increasingly more drawn to money and glory; he wants to be remembered for glory, not generosity and justice as he once wanted. Over the last couple of years, the lack of a male heir has drawn a dark cloud over us. We never speak of it. Henry never outright blames me though I know he and everyone else does. But it is there, this gap in our lives, it never leaves. I know that if I could only give birth to a son - a living son - then things would surely improve, but that is not so easy now that he has found a younger, pretty mistress. Henry loves me, of that I have no doubt, I just wish I could give him a son so that everything would be more secure.

Despite my personal concerns about our marriage, I am content at the moment that our reign is very secure as we near the end of the year. As the cold weather of October hits England, a new hope is on the horizon for a treaty is being signed here in London. For all of my reservations about him, Cardinal Wolsey has done well to pioneer this treaty, even if – as I suspect – he has done it with the hope of being able to ally with the French one day, not the Spanish.

"This treaty will bring universal peace to all the powers of Europe, Your Majesty. It will unite Christendom in harmony." Cardinal Wolsey stands beside Henry and brags as he reads the treaty, which is planned to be signed next week.
Thomas More, one of Henry's closest advisors and friends, and a good Catholic man, sits on the other side of the King. I sit at the opposite end of the table, here to overview the treaty and offer advice to my husband, whilst he still takes it.

"It will commit the powers of Europe to avoid war with each other. We will have strength in peace and religion both." Continues Wolsey. "And who can deny that now, more than ever, we need strength in religion?"

"You are talking about Luther." Henry concurs.
That name alone strikes a chord with everyone in the room. Only a year ago, Luther published his so-called theses defining what he believes Christianity should be. Lutheranism they call it, though they may as well call it heresy. This ideology disgraces the Pope and outcasts Rome, it is the most heinous of crimes and I am fortunate that Henry has taken such decisive action against Luther, writing many pamphlets denouncing him.