Chapter 5

5      

❖❖❖

June 1519
Greenwich Palace
London

❖❖❖

There is little conversation between Henry and I at dinner tonight. It has been this way since I discovered Bessie's pregnancy three months ago. We don't speak about it; we don't speak about much at all. When we do discuss things, it is always policy or Mary, though recently he does not even speak about her as much.

We were happy and strong for such a long time, or so I thought, and now we are once again under the dark cloud. Henry has not said whether he will claim Bessie's child once it is born. If she gives birth to a daughter, then I imagine he will not put any claim forward for his illegitimate child, but if she gives birth to a son – God forbid – then I may find myself in a very difficult and humiliating situation. But regardless of everything that has happened, I love my husband and want so badly to be his wife in every way again.

"Henry," I begin, "I have said nothing on what is happening, I have kept quiet about it." Henry looks down at his plate and says nothing. "But I would like you to come to my rooms tonight, if you wish. I want you to know that I am always your wife, always proud to be your queen. What has happened should not come between us having any more children of our own. Please, talk to me."

Henry clears his throat. "I see, though I am very busy at the moment. I have a lot to organise. I have decided to make peace with France and ally with them, as you know, so there is much to do."

I look down at my own plate to stop myself from snapping. The peace treaty we signed in London did not last long after all. In a matter of just a few months, countries were already back at war or allying with each other again behind the backs of everyone else. And now my husband has also decided that universal peace is not something he cares about. Once again, he desires more than anything to have France. He sees France as rightly his since his ancestors ruled it, and usually he desires to go to war to claim the lands back. But this time, Wolsey has persuaded him to make peace with France instead, to ally with them. And worst of all, Wolsey has advised my husband, the King, to arrange a betrothal between our daughter Mary and the Dauphin of France. At just three years old, a French future will be designed for her. I was not even consulted, I heard it through other people, through court gossip. It makes me sick to my stomach that Mary, my daughter, my Spanish princess, is to be betrothed to the French prince.

"I am not happy about this, Henry." I state.

"About what? I thought you wanted peace."

"Yes, with all countries. But you must know how I feel about this new alliance, France is Spain's adversary. My nephew Charles has just become the Holy Roman Emperor, he controls Spain, Austria and the Low Countries just to name a few. He would make a much better ally surely. And he is Spanish by blood, as I am, and as is Mary."

"Katherine, France is my ancestral right. If I cannot win it by war, then I will win it by allying with King Francis. If Mary can become Queen of France one day, then England will once again rule France, at least partly."

"But how can I support this?" I continue. "I am Spanish, Henry, not French. It hurts me to see you ally with them."

"Well you will have to accept it." He snaps. "Francis is young and strong; he and I will make good allies. France has always been more important to me than anywhere else. We have already begun making arrangements for a peace treaty, and I suggest that you find some way to become happy about it." Henry strides out of the room and leaves me with my anger.