Chapter 1: Introduction

It was a dark cold evening, and as usual, I was driving home from my job at the appliance plant. The work was grueling but I didn't mind because it kept me occupied and it kept me from going back home to my lonely life with my thoughts to keep me company. When I arrived at my house I fixed myself some pizza, scrolled through my phone and saw yet another friend had just got married. I looked around at my lovely apartment and felt sad and jealous that I had no one despite everything I've done for everyone, yet somehow my kindness always won me last place which got me nothing. I never had my first job until I was nearly 20 due to my severe anxiety disorder along with my condition of ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). I had the worst kind where I couldn't pay attention or even remember what people told me because my thoughts were so unorganized. Yet when it came to reliving the terrible moments of the last 20 years of my life my brain seemed to remember it all quite flawlessly.

I didn't go to college due to these issues, but I still made a nice life for myself, and as for medication for my anxiety...well, I gave up on finding the right one years ago. After eating pizza, I decided to relax with some video games, they always gave me something to take my frustration out on, and after playing for a bit, I went into the spare bedroom that I had converted into my office. When I sat down at my desk, I began to work on my latest story and it made me happy as I began to slip away from reality and into fantasy as I've done my whole life. I was one of the guys you'd least expect to be bitter if you were an outsider looking into my life...I mean I smiled, joked with others, and gave advice but behind closed doors, it was a different story.

Behind closed doors was a life of jealousy, loneliness, and a trail of unresolved issues which over time, turned me into a bitter man who had trust issues. I wasn't your average black person, I was half black & half Indian although you couldn't tell because of my eczema and instead of dressing like I was young, I always dressed like an older man and talked more civilized. In fact, I talked so professionally that many of my friends would make jokes about me being of a different race and I would just laugh and tell them that I wanted to be different, with my own set of values.

I sat in my office and finished the first chapter and then sat in my recliner over by the corner and watched star trek on the large flat screen. Star trek was my hope that all this hate and all the selfishness in this world would come to an end. All my life people threw me down for my differences or even tricked me into feeling safe and accepted and then kicked me to the curb after they got what they wanted from me, so I had enough of reality and I just wasn't ready to deal with more doses of it so here I am.

After watching television, it was now fully dark outside so I grabbed my bike and headed out for my favorite type of ride...a night ride. My bike was equipped with front lights and rear lights with turn Signals and I loved riding it so much, I've always ridden bikes ever since I was 7. So for me, it was relaxing and basically like a nostalgia trip for me and it never got old. I plugged in my headphones and rode for a while, remembering all the good times I always had while riding my bike. After a couple of hours of riding, I decided it was time for me to head back home, but it would take the same amount of time I got here, to get back, but little did I know, I was about to see something that would change my life forever. On my way back, it began to rain hard, so of course, I packed a backpack with my coat and tools but I needed cover from the rain to properly dress, so I pulled into an alley. I started dressing quickly because at night I was always paranoid of the unknowns lurking.. ever since I was little. While I was dressing, I saw a small figure hiding, and I figured it was just an animal, but after shining my light, the figure peeped out to see what the light was. The figure was a small skinny child, who had Carmel-colored skin and raggedy clothes, he looked about 8, so in order, not to frighten him, I put my hands up and slowly approached him. Secretly I had my hiking knife in my pocket in case it was a trap, but I felt I wouldn't need it. As I approached the boy, all I could think of was getting him home.