CHAPTER 4

GELO

The morning came and I saw the numerous times Coach Lyle dialed me earlier this day. Though I'm still sleepy, I immediately called him back since it looks urgent. After ringing once, he immediately answered my call.

"Where in the world are you? You are the only one missing in your group!" Coach Lyle irritatingly said. "Why, Coach? What's wrong? What's happening?" I said half-awake. "Today is your team building day! Have you forgotten?" he said. 

I looked at the clock and immediately stood up as I saw that I am really late for our event. "Shocks! Thank you for reminding me, Coach! I'll just drive on my own. Kindly text me the address!" I hurriedly said before ending the call. In no time, I was taking a bath and before I knew it, I was out of the house and into the road.

I must have fallen deep asleep since I was not able to hear the ringing of my alarm. Today is the day for the team building organized by the National Star Cup Tournament Association to ensure that the tournament will run smoothly and will not produce fights among the participants. Not only the volleyball players are invited, but also the basketball players, cheerleaders, and other student athletes belonging to the sports included in the NSCT.

It was a good thing that I have already fixed my things before going to sleep last night which helped me in getting ready faster. I was not able to say goodbye to my Mom and Ate since the sun is slowly shining its rays. It was also almost 8 o'clock in the morning which is why the roads are gradually being filled with cars. Suddenly, my stomach grumbled together with the ringing of my phone

"Hello? Who is this?" I said. "Wow, you did not even bother to save my number?" the person from the other line said. "Just tell me who you are. It's still too early for a prank call." I strongly said. 

He or she or whoever this might be should not start my morning this way. First, I am late for the event. Second, the traffic is stressing me out. Lastly, I am hungry! "Chill, bro! This is Mikki. Have you forgotten me already?" he said. Mikki? My childhood friend? "Claver Jr.?" I asked. "Yes, sir! The one and only." he replied. 

"Oh, hey bro! How are you? What made you call me this early?" I asked him. "I guess you haven't heard. I was late for the shuttle on the way to the event place. Coach Lyle told me that you were going to use your car. I was hoping that maybe I could get a ride from you." he said. 

"Oh, okay, sure. Where are you? Do you still live in your old house?" I asked. "Yep! But I'm here in the McDonald's near our house ordering some breakfast." he said. "That's nice! Can you order for me as well? I'll pay you later." I told him. "Noted. What's your order?" he asked. "Whatever you're having. I'll see you in about 10 minutes." I said before dropping the call. 

What they say about "everything happens for a reason" surely is true. If had not woken up late, Mikki won't probably have anyone take him to the event. It's also a good thing that their house is not that far from mine.

Wow, I can't believe that we have known each other for years now but ever since we started high school, we started drifting away from each other. This is probably because we figured out that we have different taste for various things. Mikki is currently the captain of the basketball team, while I am the captain of the volleyball team. I was also pre-occupied by theatre and other stuff which is probably why I haven't had the chance to talk to him recently.