CHAPTER 8

SPECIAL CHAPTER

The two lads have not talked since that night. The shock from what JL has heard remained with him until a few months. Because of this, he decided to be left alone for a while to process what Gelo told him. He cannot fathom the fact that in a short time, his friend felt that way about him.

Since meeting each other is unavoidable especially when there is training, JL tried to divert his attention by focusing on the training. While JL was playing, a pair of eyes was glued to him. Even though he was struggling with the way JL has been acting around him, Gelo's feelings for him did not change. He understands their situation and how JL feels so even though there are times when he wants to talk to and approach him, he stops himself to give JL the privacy he deserves.

Time flew quickly since that night when Gelo confessed his true feelings for JL. Months have passed and Gelo still hasn't gotten a response from him. Because of this, he decided to let go of his feelings. Though it was against his will, his was the only way he could think of to save the friendship they had.

"What are you doing?! We have been playing for hours and yet, you still have no points for this game, JL. Your receiving and services are so poor today. If it wasn't directly sent to the net, you send the ball outside the court. Only a week is left before NSCT! What's happening to you?" Coach Lyle exclaimed as JL committed another error in his service. The young man could not look and answer because he guilty that his playing condition was not good.

"Everyone, 5-minute break. JL, follow me outside." Coach Lyle seriously said.

As they reached outside, Coach Lyle talked to JL sincerely. "What's happening? Your performance rate has been consistently going down. The accuracy of your hits and blocks have drastically went down. Are you facing any problem right now?" he asked straight forwardly. "T-this is nothing, Coach. I apologize for behavior. I'll make it up next time." JL said while staring at his shoes. 

"Go home, JL. Fix yourself. I cannot afford you making a mess in the court. If you want to play in the tournament, fix whatever you have to fix. I can help you but it's ultimately up to you if you want to help yourself." Coach Lyle reminded him. In the end, the young man went home with a hint of disappointment flashed on his face.

Instead of heading straight to his unit, JL stopped by the park in their dorm. As his head was full of various things, it didn't occur to him that the place where he was sitting was where Gelo confessed to him.

"You weren't like this before, were you? What's happening to you, JL?" he asked himself. It was a good thing that only a few people were passing by the park because they might have thought that he was losing his mind as he kept on talking to himself.

"Is it because you don't have anyone to walk home with? Is it because no one is asking you to dine in McDo before heading home? Is it because no one is annoying you by asking where have you been or asking you why were you late for a subject? Is it because no one is asking you to teach him the assignment? Is that what this is all about?" he asked himself once again.