Confessions

Lindy was struggling, that much I could tell. Ever since she woke up two weeks ago, she had insisted we forged on, without a moment of rest. Sunset and Jolt didn't protest much, saying she would heal faster if she was in a good mood. I disagreed. As far as I knew, even Dylan sided with Lindy. What a traitor.

The sky quickly dims above us, tiny stars poking out from around the leafy crowns of trees.  Sunset pauses and alights upon Jolt's back. "Let's rest here. The edge of the forest is just above, but I would prefer to remain with a bit of protection." 

Lindy sighs audibly. "But we're so close. The faster we move, the quicker we can defeat whoever is destroying the realms!" 

I put my hand on her arm. "Lindy, we've been traveling nonstop for days. Us being exhausted isn't going to make us go faster. You- we need our rest."

She glares at my slip-up. Ever since losing her leg, she hates any thought of her being weak. In her fight to prove that she's just as strong as ever, she's worked twice as hard. The effects are obvious when she wakes up in the morning. 

Lindy insists on being in charge of setting up camp, and sends me and Dylan off to go collect firewood with a wink. "Make your move already," she hisses in my ear when she moves to brush a leaf off my suit. 

I shake my head. No way would I ever confess my feelings for him, but I question my decision as he grabs my hand and pulls me farther in with a smirk.

"Real subtle of her." 

I blush and stammer, "I...I don't know what you mean..."

Dylan grows serious. He rubs the side of his nose, a nervous habit. "Actually Vi, there's something I wanted to tell you."

I blush redder, glad it's so dark. "Okay..."

"It's getting really dangerous. Every day, there's something, or someone attacking us. Our lives are almost always in danger. Especially you and Lindy. I just wanted to say, if we- if I don't make it, I want you to know, I've enjoyed being with you all these weeks, and I never would've imagined finding someone..." he breaks off, clearly embarrassed. "I never would've thought I could find someone so smart, and daring, and beautiful and amazing as you."

I hold my breath. Is he saying what I think he's saying?

"Anyways, what I'm trying to say, is that Vi, I really like you."

I stand in stunned silence. Dylan takes as a bad sign, and is stammering furiously.

"It's totally fine if you don't feel the same way. I mean, I never should've told you, I'm sorry, what a total invasion of-"

I lean forward and silence him with a kiss. "Be quiet, I like you too."

He exhales, and then he's kissing me, pushing me against a tree. I don't want it to stop. 

The world dissolves, and nothing could tear us apart. 

A light shines on my face, and I hear a giggle. "Whoops, sorry."

Dang it, Lindy. I push myself away from Dylan, embarrassed. 

"It's... I mean... it's not...we weren't...you didn't..."

Lindy shifts her torch to her other hand, and brushes the hair out of her eyes. "Lemme guess..." She shifts her voice three octaves higher. "This isn't what it looks like, we weren't doing anything. It was just a trick of the light!"

I stick my tongue out at her. "It sounds like you've used that excuse before."

Lindy snorts. "More like heard that excuse before. We would get people all the time in our barn, trying to make out in the haystacks."

I can't help it. I start laughing, trying to catch my breath. Tears stream from my eyes. I collapse to the ground shaking. Dylan and Lindy stand awkwardly, not exactly sure what to do. 

"Ok, you caught us I guess. It's exactly what it looks like."

Lindy grins in triumph. "Aha! I knew it, you do like each other." She starts dancing around, her prostheses thumping the ground irregularly. 

Dylan takes my hand, sending shivers up my spine. "We should go back before Sunset and Jolt get suspicious." 

I snort, and as we head back, I realize, I haven't felt this good in a while. 

Hey guys, sorry we haven't updated in a while. We're still trying to get used to heck. *(cough, school, cough)* and returning from the whole quarantine. As always, let us know in the comments, suggestions and edits. Stay safe! 

-Mei and Skye