Chapter Four

The castle had barely changed since Cerast had been there last.

Large stone bricked walls and towers that rose to the clouds with a bustling village curling around it in a crescent moon shape. Each road filled with people walking and children running.

The stables were large, with only half a dozen stalls open for Lilac and Prince Bandians horses. Cerast knew that the mare would be unhappy sitting so still in such a small area, but she knew it was necessary whenever Cerast called for her help. Farra stayed with her at least, but still stared at Cerast with a worried look.

It was not as if Cerast was happy getting to be looked at strangely by the common folk and nobility of both the village and castle. Each one would cast glances of judgement or disdain; his hair too dark, his eyes haunting, his clothes unfit for company.

Cerast did not let each look bother him while he and the other men made their way into the castle. He would not let humans lower his confidence.

"Cerast! I am so glad you came. Though I wish it were for a separate reason."

The older woman that had greeted them in the courtyard was one that Cerast had seen before. She was the nursemaid to Tysefr's mother, Cerast knew they were close.

"It is nice to see you well, Valla." Cerast smiled softly; Valla had a good heart and he would be a fool to be rude to her.

"I see the prince found you well. I was not expecting him back for at least a few days." Valla shot a slightly confused glance to the prince and his guards, who were standing nearby and watching the exchange.

Cerast hummed quietly and shook his head, also looking to the men.

"I have my ways to go faster. It seemed as if this trip was meant to be a fast one."

It was true. Cerast saw King Tysefr's funeral, but even if it was not due for years, the trip should be quick as Cerast doubted he did not know the kings ailment.

"Yes, of course. I should take you to the king. I am afraid he is not all well at the moment; but that will help your diagnosis, yes?" Valla's eyes widened before she took Cerast's gloved hand and pulled a bit.

Cerast allowed her to gently pull him through the halls, even though he knew exactly where the kings chambers were. This was not his first time healing a king.

Prince Bandian made to follow them, but the guards dropped away once they were inside the castle walls. Cerast thought they were unnecessary. A future king should know how to defend himself against any threats on his life.

Cerast ignored the prince while Valla hauled them away. He would imagine once he healed the king that Prince Bandian would have questions, but Cerast also might try and avoid those questions. Besides, there was little time to think on those things; the kings chambers were nearing closer.

With every step, Cerast could feel the physical shift in the air.

Before, it was just stagnant. There was only the magic from the land and its people, none from other sources besides Cerast.

Now, the air was filled with a heavy scent of misused magic. Something tinged with rot and bile.

There were no forms of magic that were bad. That was one of the first things Jysp taught him. But there was magic that others used with ill intent or ignorance, this magic created a scent that only developed magicians could smell.

Cerast had been expecting just a hint of the smell. Enough scent to correlate with an assassination attempt.

Though this scent was stronger than he had ever smelled before, it was no wonder that he gagged when they walked too close to the door. He tried to hide the reaction from Valla and Prince Bandian, but it was already too late.