6 - Paris at night

"I've always wanted to come to Paris..." I sighed when I entered Marinette's balcony in the evening. "I can't believe that when I've finally come here, I'm doing all I can to go back home... Irony, don't you think?" I asked Tikki that approached to me and sat down on my shoulder.

Dusk descended surrounding me with a warmth of the evening. In the Miraculous universe the weather was always nice – except one meaningful rainy afternoon and some Stormy Weather's follies. I stared at the street below seeing so many people rushing somewhere. Just another day... I looked up at the illuminated Notre Dame cathedral. It was surrounded by scaffolds and little by little it recovered its previous shape. I couldn't believe I hadn't taken the opportunity to see it inside, when I had a chance...

"You haven't been here yet? Really?" kwami asked.

"Only once. It was a business trip. Very short. Two years ago, in January... I was very sick then..."

"It's a pity..."

"Oh, and it was like a winter storm then..." I remembered. "You know, just in case I wanted to see anything... But I managed to capture w beautiful picture of the Eiffel Tower. Snow only highlighted its patterns..."

I got lost in my thoughts. I remembered my evening walk – just like those people right now – alongside the Seine just to see the Notre Dame cathedral two years ago. I'd been so sick that I didn't visit it inside deciding to do it next time. By the way I was looking for Marinette's house somewhere around. Now I was sitting on the rooftop of this house and I could watch the cathedral all I wanted. I expected to see the Eiffel Tower eventually, because somehow most of Ladybug and Cat Noir's fights ended there...

"Do you think Marinette is doing well?" I asked.

"As Lena?" Tikki made sure.

I nodded. Suddenly the emotion overwhelmed me when I realised I wouldn't read my daughter a bedtime story. I wouldn't hug her tonight... I just thought if I ever... Er, wait a minute! I called myself to order.

"This balcony is depressing!" I discovered.

"What?!" kwami burst out laughing.

"I've always wondered why Marinette has so many depressing thoughts, and now I began wondering if I ever come back home..."

"You miss your family, don't you?"

"I can't even find right words to tell you how much. And believe me, I know how to deal with words..."

"I think Marinette misses her parents too."

"I'm sure she misses you too."

"Thank you..." kwami whispered. "You're so kind..."

"You're welcome..."

We both went silent for a moment – each in her own thoughts. I was wondering if Marinette would read my daughter a bedtime story, if she'd overcome the panic in a new reality she'd found in the morning. Or maybe she'd spent the whole day in the bathroom?

"I know what you need..." Tikki said.

"Chocolate?" I guessed.

"It could work. Maybe later we'll try with it. Now I wanted to suggest you a short tour around the city. You could get familiar with Ladybug costume and yo-yo..."

"Brilliant idea!" I agreed happy. I needed to change the place otherwise I could become overwhelmed with nostalgy. "Er... but..."

"You're scared?"

"I'd be stupid if I wasn't..." I admitted. "But I was thinking rather about the costume..."

"What's with it?"

"Isn't the costume look related to the miraculous holder?" I asked.

"How do you know that?" Tikki was surprised. "Let me guess... You've seen it in of the episodes?" she added irritated.

"Y-yeah..." I nodded. There was no need to argue. "I'm afraid that Ladybug's costume will change if I, instead of real Marinette, transform."

Kwami looked at me concerned.

"That might be a problem. If anyone notices the difference and combines it somehow with Marinette's weird acting today, Ladybug's identity may be revealed."

"That's why I asked. Is it possible that if I focus on Marinette's version of the costume, I'll get an identical one?"

"It is possible. You'll never know if you don't try..."

"OK then. Let's check... Maybe it'll better to come back to the bedroom and see the results in the mirror..."

I jumped inside and Tikki followed me. I stood in front of the mirror feeling both amused and excited. That was a moment to feel the Miraculous magic on myself.

"So... See you later..." I whispered to my kwami that winked at me in response. "Tikki, spots on!" I said the spell.

I felt warmth in my ears when Tikki disappeared in the earrings. Then that heat spread over my whole body like someone poured warm water over me. Soon after I saw Ladybug in the mirror, thankfully without any differences in her costume. That would help me in misleading everyone.

"So, we won't talk anymore, Tik..." I muttered to myself. "You're on your own, Lena!"

I watched my yo-yo. I remembered from "Oblivio" that I should have some instructions and guidance in my phone. I followed that hint. I read about my weapon, 'Lucky charm' and 'Miraculous Ladybug' spells. I realised that it would be quite dangerous for myself, my family and whole Paris when I'd get a lucky charm and had no idea how to use it. I kept all my hopes in my creativity which – all-in-all – wasn't so bad so far...

"Yeah..." I sighed when I stood on the balcony again. "There's nothing like having fear of heights and use flying as your mean of transport... Fine... Come on, Lena! Do or die..."

I ejected my yo-yo in the direction of the nearest street lantern. Either I'll get there or I'll die... The yo-yo twisted around the lamp-post and I felt a tug. I was terrified yet I jumped... And I flew out away. My stomach was somewhere in my throat when I realised how far from the ground I was flying. I passed the lantern where my yo-yo was wrapped. OK, now I was going to die...

To my surprise my wrist did something without my will. It twitched and the yo-yo released from the lamp-post. Still in the air I ejected it again and it twisted around a cornice of the Notre Dame cathedral. Great! Now I was going to ruin what they'd managed to rebuild.

My body acted again without my will – I passed the church instead of smashing myself on its façade. Maybe my theory of body memory wasn't such a nonsense I thought? That heartened me and I my muscles relieved. I began feeling Ladybug in myself. Or maybe it was Tikki who took the lead?

I stopped on a tree branch at the bank of the Seine. The view was incredible. Actually, I could go everywhere I wanted. I recalled my previous walk there two years ago. I was curious how long it would take to get Louvre if I chose the air track. I remembered last time the way seemed endless because of my sickness and cold. All I wanted was a cup of hot tea with honey and lemon. But today it was warm and nice. And I could take a journey above the Parisian rooftops.

A minute or two later I landed on the roof of the Louvre Palace. I admired the glass Pyramid in the courtyard, the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel in line with the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile. Aside there was the Tuileries Garden that I remembered as covered with snow, now beautifully blossomed. Behind the garden I could see the Place de la Concorde, that I had mentioned in one of my stories – the one I wrote here, by the way. In the distance I saw the illuminated Eiffel Tower revolving the beams like a huge lighthouse.

I was speechless.

Those views were breath-taking. I knew I'd never be able to see it again, because nobody would let me on the Louvre rooftop. I did my best to remember every detail and I hoped that 'Miraculous Ladybug' spell wouldn't take this memory away from me.

I sighed.

And I was about to stand up and to continue running when suddenly I heard a muffled flop behind me. My heart skipped a beat and I turned around quickly.

I saw a pair of sparkling green eyes.

"It looks like you've changed a spot, M'Lady..."